Sophia's Reviews > Junkyard Druid

Junkyard Druid by M.D. Massey

bookshelves: borrowed-loaned, na, pnr-uf

Scrolling through the books on offer through Kindle Unlimited, I came across this title. I love urban fantasy and its not often that a series involving Celtic Mythology and a modern druid come my way so I gave this one a go. It definitely has some new adult tones, but I was not disappointed in my first outing with the series.

Colin McCool and his girlfriend were trained hunters by his legendary druid uncle. The future looked bright until the unthinkable happens. A witch set on revenge against Colin's uncle curses Colin and he ends up destroying his happiness when he kills his own girlfriend when the cursed beast nature took over. Now, he wants nothing to do with that past life he planned for himself, his uncle, or anything of a fighting nature that will stir the beast inside him. Unfortunately, he can't be left alone to attend his therapy sessions and college classes in peace. He is coerced into aiding Maeve, one of the faery queens, locate a magical artifact and he ends up helping his magical law enforcement friend investigate a werewolf murder. His life couldn't get more interesting, right? Wrong.

The book started out with a prologue of two young, cocky teens in love and then jumps forward in time. Each chapter is headed by a page from Colin's therapy journal so his thoughts on the past and that situation are revealed as the book progresses. After each journal entry, the present day situation carries on.

Colin was a fun hero to follow around and thankfully, the story didn't dwell on the morose thoughts of his earlier journal entries. He's got typical guy thoughts, but also some atypical stuff due to his past experiences and his training. There were lots of things going on to fill his day and lots of people surrounding him whether it was avoiding his addicted, but grieving uncle, a red cap fae mafia group, a new acquaintance Samoan MMA fighter/Maori Warrior, sweet and troubled Sabene his best friend, Luther the head of the vampire group, butt-kicking Belladonna a policing enforcer who unabashedly wants in his drawers, a werewolf biker club, and a cunning fae Queen. I truly hope that these are all going to be recurring characters.

I enjoyed all the story threads introduced and sticking around to see how they all ended up tying together. The fight and action scenes were great and I was glad to get to finally meet Colin's beast side. The series plot line was introduced and I like where it is going for future stories.

All in all, I had a good time and enjoyed discovering this new to me urban fantasy series that takes action and suspense to pair it well with Celtic mythology in a modern city setting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Junkyard Druid.

September 3, 2018 – Started Reading