Dan's Reviews > Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy

Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas

A fresh take on a largely unknown backstory of WWII Germany that involved Dietrich Bonhoeffer. All in all a well researched biography and well written. This time on a minor figure in Germany who saw the evils of Nazism and anti-semitism earlier than others, then split from the National Church of Germany which had been co-opted by the SS. Finally when he realized he could not stop the Nazi party and subsequent holocaust through normal clerical and political channels he helped conspire to assassinate Hitler.

If you are generally interested in micro-history of largely unknown but fascinating people or events, like I am, or are a WWII buff etc. I think you will find this an excellent read.

One of the tragedies of WWII driven home by this story, in those waning months when it was clear that Germany would lose, is the level of pure evil that it took to murder so many people just days before the camps were liberated. Sheer depravity.

Not quite as inspirational as Schindler’s List perhaps but reading this book did give me more faith in humanity. I’ve also read Metaxas’ biography on Wilberforce, an abolitionist from England in the early 19th century, also very well written. Many similarities in the moral character of both Wilberforce and Bonhoeffer.

A solid 4 to 4.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bonhoeffer.

September 2, 2018 – Started Reading
September 2, 2018 – Shelved
September 17, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy I enjoyed the Wilberforce book and this Bonhoeffer has been in my Kindle for some time.