Sakura Joy's Reviews > Resistance

Resistance by Mikhaeyla Kopievsky

it was ok
bookshelves: dystopia, boy-meets-girl, young-adult

Lots of people have criticized Divergent for the implausibility of its social system. Well, guess what? The system displayed in "Resistance" makes even less sense. Say goodbye to the factions and the classification of people according to their qualities: now, thanks to miss Kopievsky, you know what a world where people are classified according to their natural element would look like. Or not.

To be honest, I'm truly fascinated by these sorts of artificial, unlikely societies, and I kind of enjoy reading passionate authors trying to give life to stillborn concepts. You know, like in Divergent. Roth's dystopian society could never ever work (not with humans, at least), but she puts so much passion in trying to prove it actually can, that you may find some interest in what she writes.

Here, there's nothing of the sort, and your interest falls very quickly, for an obvious reason: we never learn anything practical about the world the characters live in. Sure, we can make assumptions about why Fire Elementals differ in substance from Air Elementals, and it's easy to see that the Fire enjoys considerable power in the existing political system. But... just... WHY? WHAT? HOW?

I mean, why are everybody "Elementals" to begin with? (Same criticism as with Divergent: even if you could intervene on the human brain or on the genes or whatever, you couldn't expect to be able to classify a broad population according to only 4 or 5 patterns of personnality. Or maybe it IS actually possible, but then do as to make me believe it!)

What exactly is Orthodoxy (and why is it so important for the Peacekeepers?), and how is it perceived by regular, non-rebellious people? What does it mean, concretely, to live under Orthodoxy? OK, I got it, Fire loves Orthodoxy and Air hates it, for whatever reason, but what about Earth and Water?

Oh and, also, if everybody is always busy doing super elemental stuff like kicking other people's ass (that's what pretty much all Fire Elementals do) or making music (which is all that Air Elements seem to be able to do), who are the Factionless? You know, the people doing real, non-glamorous janitor stuff like cleaning the bathrooms and operating in factories? The Earth Elementals? But if the Earth people basically live as servants for the three other factions (sorry, I mean the other ELEMENTS), then why the hell aren't they rebelling themselves? They seem to have a lot more reasons to complain than the Air Elements who, from what we understand, are only targeted by the Peacekeepers because... well, I don't even know why they are bullied, since their spirit of rebellion seems to have stemed from that very same bullying. You see, that's how messed up and ill-thought this plot is!

With more background information, maybe we could understand why the characters act the way they do. Maybe the author eventually gives all the necessary information in the following book of the series. The problem is, she had more than 300 pages to convince me that her world was well built enough to be worth buying the sequel, and instead, she wasted that space trying to develop some random, weightless romance between the heroine and a stereotypical bad boy whose only distinctive trait is his weird, unexplained habit to call her "Butterfly". (Seriously, that's literally the only way to identify him in a dialogue.)

Now, to be fair (even though I can't really explain it), this isn't the worst book I have ever read. The lack of background may piss me off a lot, but some moments did make me shiver (for good reasons, I think), especially in the last part of the book, and there are scenes that I found were written with some kind of weird futuristic, almost supernatural vibe in it, which I think is really interesting. Unfortunately, you don't keep a reader hooked with only a handful of pleasant moments. I still think this book lacks pretty much everything a book needs to keep my attention. Nevertheless, I can feel (rightly or not) a genuine commitment of the author to her book, which makes me believe I'd be wise to give her another chance, someday.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Resistance.

September 2, 2018 – Started Reading