James's Reviews > The Red Pyramid

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

it was ok
bookshelves: modern-fantasy

I have to say that overall I was disappointed by The Red Pyramid. I'll admit I had high expectations after the Percy Jackson series which I enjoyed a great deal. Unfortunately, I've found I do not like this series or the main characters. The story itself is interesting, but I never connected with the main characters who came across as selfish and childish brats. Added into that was the whole 'Tape recording' style the book was written in that switched back and forth between Sadie and Carter. I really didn't like that.

I have to say that I didn't like it and I'm unlikely to finish the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Pyramid.

December 27, 2011 – Shelved
February 11, 2012 – Started Reading
February 14, 2012 – Shelved as: modern-fantasy
February 14, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Good review James....I also liked the Percy Jacson books, but I'll stay away from this set.
Thanks

James I was disappointed. Against the overall story and setting is actually really interesting. But I couldn't connect with the main characters at all and the style it was written in did nothing for me.

I'm picky about when views shift. I prefer to read like I'm a part of the story. The way this was written like you were listening to people dictate to a tape recorder and talking about the events only to have you shift into the person's view as they talked really didn't work for me. But with the fact they constantly had little added commentary as the person currently in control of the 'Mic' made offhanded comments to the other sibling off mic and the fact I couldn't connect with the main characters. I just couldn't get into it.

I'm disappointed because like I said, the overall story concept and setting is actually really interesting.