Jim's Reviews > The Winslow Incident

Dec 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, horror, thriller
Read from January 13 to 16, 2012

This book, a scary thriller, takes place in Winslow, a small isolated community and former silver mining boomtown. There is a lot of tension hidden here just beneath the surface, more than the tourists who come for the ghost town tours or the rodeo would ever guess. There is bad blood among the townsfolk, a history of vigilante justice, and rumors of ghosts haunting the town. When a heat wave comes, cattle begin to die and people behave weirdly—insanity seems to become the norm. The primary narrator, Hazel, the daughter of the town sheriff, wonders about her own mental state. No one seems to know what is going on as things spiral out of control.

I found myself wavering as to how well I liked this book, but I decided to give it three stars because I thought that it finished stronger than it started and I think that the conclusion of a tale is more important than its beginning.

Here is my favorite quote, “Sometimes the past needs a good diggin’ up if you aim to make peace with the nowadays.” (pg.453)

Thanks Goodreads for another First Reads win!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winslow Incident.