T.B. Cooper's Reviews > The Rule of One

The Rule of One by Ashley Saunders

As the daughter of a twin who shouldn't have been born

I usually do much lengthier reviews, and I'll end up coming back and adding more to this, BUT... let me just say, that my mom and her twin sister were both born in China during WWII. In a small village in Manchuria, twins were still uncommon. Their mother was called every manner of insults, most notably animal names that denoted the kinds that bear litters. Women in their village did not have twins. If multiple pregnancies were suspected, the mothers took measures to have only one baby. Meaning, my mom, the second born, wasn't supposed to be here. But, my grandmother's love and tenacity put the wheels in motion that eventually brought me here. My mother has told me stories of walking to school when she was older and they'd moved to Hong Kong, and seeing orphaned children in the streets, and worse, dead babies thrown away in dumpsters... products of China's One Child Law. The reality and terror these two brilliant authors captured was mesmerizing and had me blow through this book in a couple hours. From the beginning the story that alternates between Ava and Mira's POV, moves fast and doesn't stop. These ladies took the idea of making your characters really go through it, to heart. While some slight details of the future are iffy, they are completely plausible seeing where we are already heading technology, government, fertility laws-wise, etc... And only near the last quarter did I feel the timeline might have a small error; but that doesn't affect the overall story, IMO. I absolutely lived this story, I only put it down to potty twice and take the dogs out, twice. I couldn't wait to jump back in. As a sister, I'm so thankful that these ladies didn't sugarcoat the deep seeded loathing that we sisters go through for one another. I felt their emotions... the resentment, the love, the guilt... this story resonated on so many levels for me, I just wanna say thank you, to the Saunders Sisters for an excellent read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rule of One.

Started Reading
September 1, 2018 – Shelved
September 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Linda That's an awesome review and Thank God your mother survived!

message 2: by Esther (new) - added it

Esther Williams How did your grandma keep it your mom a secret?

message 3: by Tamara (new) - added it

Tamara I think you or your mother should write her life story.

message 4: by Kila (new)

Kila Burton Ditto Tamara - I was more interested in your family history than this particular book!

T.B. Cooper I just realized there were comments on here! Omg, I am SO SORRY I haven't responded.

Thank you, Linda. I'm glad she survived as well.😊

Esther, my grandmother didn't keep her a secret. She basically just took the abuse in stride, worked a bunch of odd jobs to support the family, and saved up until she could move them all out... immigrating first to Brazil, then finally to the US.

Thank you, Tamara and Kila. I know those sentiments will make her happy. I have spent some time "interviewing" her, and recording the bits and pieces down from her and her sister's memories over the years. It has been my intention to either do a family history/memoir, or a fiction story based off of their lives, for as long as I've wanted to write. When we do talk about her childhood, eventually we have to stop because it always ends in tears. She/they really did live through some fantastic and horrifying times. She still remains pretty darn inspirational to me, my family.