Gabby's Reviews > Only Human

Only Human by Sylvain Neuvel

liked it
bookshelves: 3-star-books, audiobooks-i-listened-to, disappointed, read-in-2018, sci-fi

This book was definitely my least favorite in the trilogy. I was obsessed with Sleeping Giants, and I really enjoyed Waking Gods, so I couldn't wait to get my hands on this final book in the series! (And I listened to the audiobook again because the audiobooks are the best audiobooks of all time and they are all around superior.) But I'm sad to say this was my least favorite of the trilogy, and I think it's for a few reasons.

This book takes place ten years later. Almost all of my favorite characters died in the last book, the only character I enjoyed reading about in this book was Vincent. Vincent's daughter Eva is an adult in this book, and she irritated me throughout most of it. Most of this book doesn't take place on Earth, and they spend a lot of this book speaking an alien language, and because I listened to the audiobook it made it kind of hard to follow along. It was fun at first, but after a while I got annoyed at the gibberish sounding sounds. I kept getting bored with the audiobook and zoning out, and I can normally finish an audiobook in a few sittings but this one I kept going back to and back to and back to and my library rental expired before I got the chance to finish it, so I had to re-check it out to finish it! /:

This book just doesn't have the same mysterious wonder that I loved about the first two books. It doesn't have the same plot twists or mind-blowing ending, it just ends... which is fine because it's the conclusion, but that's also part of the reason why I loved the first two SO MUCH. I did love Vincent and Eva's complicated relationship though and I liked how that was the main focus of the book.

I still LOVE this series as a whole, this last installment was just a tad disappointing though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only Human.

September 1, 2018 – Started Reading