Eric Mesa's Reviews > Babylon's Ashes

Babylon's Ashes by James S.A. Corey

bookshelves: basis-for-tv-show, 2018-laser-challenge

This book is probably the most direct sequel so far in The Expanse. It pretty much picks up right where the last one left off (not counting the interstitial novella). One thing JSAC use for great effect in this book (and I think more than any of the previous ones) is to use the POV-ness of the chapters to jump back and forth in time. So chapter X ends and then chapter X+1 actually rewinds things a bit and provides a new perspective on what happened in chapter X. It mostly worked well.

I enjoyed that this was a huge reunion of all the great players of the series - Avasarala, Fred Johnson, Michio Pa, Anna the preacher and her family, the crew of the Roci, Bobbie the Martian Marine. Pretty much everyone got a POV chapter. And towards the end we even got a look into the mind of the enemy.

Great, fun moment for me was when Anderson Dawes is talking to people to convince them to believe in Holden and JSAC have structured the paragraphs to be a series of contradictory jump cuts. Equivalent to a move or TV show where a scene has someone insisting "I will NEVER be in a blue car", next scene they're in a blue car.

I think the ending continues JSAC's realistic endings. There are some good things and some bad ones. Some things left unresolved. And a HUGE question mark on a certain group of folks. (view spoiler)

I wanted to add that the Filip chapters really highlighted a lot of the reasons of why we end up with irrational violence - people feeling ashamed or called out or trying to make their world view make sense.

I think the series continues to progress well and this one has the most organic reason for Holden to be involved in the future - as a charter ship for hire. After having been able to read these more or less back to back it's a bummer there's only one more novel out now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Babylon's Ashes.

September 1, 2018 – Shelved
September 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
September 1, 2018 – Shelved as: basis-for-tv-show
October 9, 2018 – Started Reading
October 9, 2018 –
3.0% "Pastor Anna and family"
October 10, 2018 –
8.0% "Setting up the plot"
October 17, 2018 –
16.0% "So many POVs this time around"
October 19, 2018 –
29.0% "The stakes are higher and so it's a little less light-hearted. Which is fine, but I basically have a battle between apprehension and curiosity when it comes to reading more."
October 20, 2018 –
36.0% "Inners are playing chess and Inaros is playing Calvin Ball"
October 22, 2018 –
45.0% "Things continue to spiral out"
October 23, 2018 –
50.0% "Halfway point and I think it's about to be nuts"
October 24, 2018 –
52.0% "Battle continues"
October 24, 2018 –
63.0% "I love how it's all coming together."
October 25, 2018 –
73.0% "My favorite part today was Dawes' contradictory Holden speeches. Great comedy."
October 26, 2018 –
75.0% "Prax is great"
October 28, 2018 –
90.0% "Grown to really love Pa's chapters.

Filip makes an interesting decision.

Man, I can't wait to see where this goes! Especially knowing there are 3 more books!"
October 28, 2018 –
99.0% "Done. Review tomorrow."
October 29, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-laser-challenge