Claudia's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Jun 22, 2008

bookshelves: ya-books, sci-fi-fantasy, 2016-book-challenge-160-books, audible-books
Read from January 07 to 16, 2016

So many questions, and listening to Jim Dale's voice forces me to slow down and really attend to the characters and the plot. Rowling is allowing her characters to grow and mature, to make rotten decisions, to delude themselves. She continues to carefully lead us to the impression that Snape is every bit as evil as Harry believes.

I remember the year between this and the last book...I was in the "Trust Snape" camp. I kept going back to Dumbledore's last words, "Severus, please." Hearing them made me cry even harder.

Everything has been constructed to lead to the final showdown. Power is shifting, but the kids...those amazing kids...stay true to the mission of Hogwarts, and they stay true to each other. I think one of my greatest joys is watching Neville mature into a powerful young wizard.

These books are all about family...building your own if you don't have one, as Harry and Neville don't. Sharing yours if you have one, as Ron and Ginny do, and creating your own, as Bill and Fleur do.

I appreciate the glimpses of Lily and James...certainly NOT perfect people. Just the perfect parents for Harry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

01/25/2016 marked as: currently-reading