Ann's Reviews > Catch the Lightning

Dec 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: space-opera, science-fiction, romance
Read from December 26, 2011 to January 19, 2012

I "read" this one as an Overdrive audiobook checked out from my local library.

Asaro writes both fantasy and science fiction with strong romance elements. She's probably best known for her Skolian Empire books, an extensive series set in an interstellar empire that is beset by a power struggle between members of the Ruby Dynasty (the empathic and telepathic traditional rulers of the Skolian Empire) and the Eubian Traders (the sadistic anti-empaths).

Not all the books in the series focus on the same characters. "Catch the Lightning" is considered a stand-alone book taking place at the end of the Skolian Empire time-line.

Tina Pulivok, a young woman of Mayan descent who is scraping by as a waitress in 20th century Los Angelas, meets a very strange man on the street on her way home from work late one night. The first half of the book focuses on her attempts to understand and then to help Althor escape back to his own universe. Tina, having fallen in love with Althor, decides to accompany him. The second half of the book deals with the dangerous treacheries afoot in the Skolian Empire that set Althor off track in the first place.

Asaro has a doctorate in physics, and she is thorough in working out the ideas behind her Empire and the technology that holds it together. Clunkily thorough: I lost count of the number of times Tina (the naive narrator) launched from an "I would later learn" into a lengthy explanation of how things work in the Skolian Empire. Still the characters are sympathetic and the universe of the Skolian Empire believable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch the Lightning.