Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > In Her Bones

In Her Bones by Kate Moretti

liked it
bookshelves: 2018, arc, publisher, thriller

After reading The Vanishing Year and enjoying it, I knew I had to read In Her Bones. I can't say that it wooed me. On the contrary, I think it was just ok.

What was the book about?

Edie Beckett is a 30-year-old female. She has a 9 to 5 job that she doesn't care much for. She's a recovering alcoholic and her past has marked her. Edie is the daughter of the famous serial killer Lilith Wade. Usually, serial killers are men, but Lilith is one of the exceptions. She murdered six women while Edie was still a kid.

Now as an adult, Edie is using her job to track the family members of the victims. She gets to close to Peter, one of the husbands. Next thing she knows, Peter is dead and she's the main suspect. The same cop who took her mother in is after her and she's running out of time to find the truth and save herself from going to prison.

Why didn't it work for me?

The pace for one. It was too slow.
I felt we were missing pieces of information about Edie and her family.
The resolution the author used to close the plot. I knew who the baddie was from early on. It was too predictable.
Or maybe it was the high expectations I had for this author's work.

What did I like?

The theme. I was intrigued about having the serial killer's daughter's POV narrate the book. In real life, it has to be horrible to know you're related to someone so evil. I can't even imagine it. I'm sure that the families are seen as guilty too for not recognizing that the people they live with can be responsible for such heinous acts.
I like Edie. She was resourceful and smart. She was one step ahead of the police. I respected her desire to learn what really happened to Peter.

A complimentary copy was provided by the Atria Books via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

3/5 Fangs

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Her Bones.

August 31, 2018 – Started Reading
August 31, 2018 – Shelved
August 31, 2018 – Finished Reading
September 9, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
September 9, 2018 – Shelved as: arc
September 9, 2018 – Shelved as: publisher
September 9, 2018 – Shelved as: thriller

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

❤️ Paulette "Happy Reading L💕ve 💙💋

Sheyla ✎ ❤️ Paulette wrote: ""Happy Reading L💕ve 💙💋"

Thank you!!

❤️ Paulette Sheyla ✎ wrote: "❤️ Paulette wrote: ""Happy Reading L💕ve 💙💋"

Thank you!!"

Always pleasure L💕ve 💙💋

message 4: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Enjoy <3

Sheyla ✎ Deanna wrote: "Enjoy <3"

Thank you, Deanna!

❤️ Paulette "Happy Reading L💕ve 💙💋

Sheyla ✎ ❤️ Paulette wrote: ""Happy Reading L💕ve 💙💋"
Thank you!

❤️ Paulette Sheyla ✎ wrote: "❤️ Paulette wrote: ""Happy Reading L💕ve 💙💋"
Thank you!"

Always pleasure L💕ve 💙💋

message 9: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Excellent review, Sheyla!

Sheyla ✎ Deanna wrote: "Excellent review, Sheyla!"
Thank you, Deanna!