Emma Donovan's Reviews > Apple of My Eye

Apple of My Eye by Christine Barfknecht

5492050

bookshelves: ebook, harddrive, nr

This is certainly a thrilling read and one that keeps you on the edge of your seat almost constantly!

Our main character, Laurie has had a tough past as she was physically and verbally abused by her husband and it is made only worse by him not admitting that he does it and telling her its all in her mind.  He goes even further by telling everyone in her life (family, friend and work colleagues) that she is unstable and tells them that he is worried about her taking care of their daughter Emily.

Then, Laurie's tormentor dies in a road accident when he had been drunk driving (good riddance you would agree?!) - probably one of the happier days of Laurie's life as she realises she is finally free from him.

And then Emily goes missing and she thinks that she saw her husband taking her.  Of course no one believes Laurie (except her neighbour Brad) and they refuse to help her look for Emily and in fact add salt to the wound by having her carted off to the local psychiatric hospital.

The way the story goes is such a twist and turn of a plot with sub plots and side stories happening all over the place to keep you guessing about how it will all turn out in the end but come together they do and there is a bit of a surprise ending to it all as well which felt good ad right for the story (and something I had't guessed at either).

I would warn about some triggers in the book with the mental, verbal and physical abuse and some of it is hard to read but it is justified for the plot line and at no point did I think it was being sensationalised for the sake of drama.

Another part I loved was the fact that you don't really know, never 100%, whether Laurie is telling the truth or what .. it's another great element that keeps you guessing!

Thoroughly recommended to all thriller fans!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Apple of My Eye.

Started Reading