Maya Rock's Reviews > The Best Buddhist Writing 2007

The Best Buddhist Writing 2007 by Melvin McLeod

Jun 22, 2008

I like the concept behind this book a lot--an anthology of writings by contemporary Buddhists and people influenced by Buddhist thought about Buddhism. It was really fun to see how many different takes there were on Buddhism...often when reading this kind of stuff I think you get very hooked onto the idea that you have to follow the one writer's template to fulfillment; by presenting many points of view you were able to see there were many paths.

I would have loved more personal anecdotes but at the same time I felt that was pretty much against the spirit of Buddhism...I love hearing about people's life stories though.

Pema Chodron's was spectacular of course, and I also enjoyed the woman with the insane brother and the daughter who grew up in a Buddhist family from East Asian and explained more about what it means to be Buddhist with that kind of background. I also really liked the introductory essay to Buddhism in the first few pages. It was very clear.

The Zen Buddhist essay was scary.
I like bell hooks' essay a lot although just as when I saw her speak I found it annoying that she used the word "love" so much yet by the end I still didn't know what kind of love she meant. I feel like I'm closer to understanding though and maybe by the time I'm her age I will.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Buddhist Writing 2007.

Started Reading