Madeleine's Reviews > Spinning Silver

Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik

20603646

bookshelves: botm, 2019-reads, buddy-read, thiccc, x-fantasy

I don't read much fantasy besides Harry Potter, so I'm trying to expand my reading horizons this year. After seeing such amazing reviews, I ordered this for my Book of the Month back in September, and just now got around to reading it!

I'm almost glad I waited until winter to read this, because the setting (inspired by Russia, Poland, Lithuania, apparently) was perfect. For such a big book at 400+ pages, I was surprised at how quickly I was reading through it. The changes in POV are a little confusing at first -- especially when they introduce a new POV -- but I thought it was fairly easy to get the hang of it. The plotlines/storylines are different enough that you can tell who is speaking within a paragraph.

This book almost reminded me of Game of Thrones, with the Staryk being similar to White Walkers. Although it is marketed as a "re-telling of Rumplestiltskin", I thought there were very few similarities between this story and the fairytale. There were some references, yes, but I'd call it more of an inspiration rather than a re-telling. It took a while for me to "get into" it, but before I knew it, I was already 100 pages in!

I loved Miryem and was so invested in her fate, and although it took a while, I warmed up to Wanda, too. I thought Irina's story could have developed a bit more, but I wanted to know what was happening with all three leading ladies. The last parts dragged on a bit and felt repetitive, but I absolutely LOVED the ending. (view spoiler) The last line -- chills.

Although it was a slow start, I ended up loving this book. The ending was perfect. I'd definitely recommend this for someone like me, who doesn't read too much fantasy, but is looking to get into the genre more. Especially for Game of Thrones fans!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spinning Silver.

August 30, 2018 – Shelved