David Agranoff's Reviews > A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe

A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe by Alex White

it was ok
bookshelves: space-opera

DNF.

You can discount my feelings on this book because I only made it 100 pages in. I don't think this is really that bad just it didn't work for me. The world-building had too many holes. My image of this universe was too vague, the character I just didn't connect to. I just didn't like the mixture of magic and space opera.

I was also off-put by the constant comparisons to Firefly. It is not the author's fault but that set a super high bar for me. The author has plenty of fans, writes pretty good action. Firefly had such great characters and more important with subtle strokes it created a very detailed and lived in feeling universe.

On a side note the publisher putting blurbs on the with names I don't recognize was weird. It is one thing to do that with Stephen King. I am a more intensely knowledgable Sci-fi reader than most and I only knew 1/5 authors. When I first looked at this book at Mysterious Galaxy I decided I would get it at the library not buy because I didn't trust the blurbs. I am glad I didn't buy it. No offense I always root for the author and I am glad Alex White has fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe.

Finished Reading