David's Reviews > Leviathan

M 50x66
Dec 26, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: tween-boys, kinda-okay, 1-in-series, teen

I picked this book up a year or so ago, mostly due to a well done cover and (semi) original plot outlined in the cover. I may have even picked up the second book in the series at some point, though if I do have it, I can't find it.

Let's get into what is actually good about this book. The author obviously did some research into the history of WWI, and it does feel like it is during that period of time, compared to other authors who have attempted to represent a historical period like this, westerfeld writes it in a way that seems appropriate to the time period he has chosen. The plot isn't all that bad, though they didn't throw in any major historical twists other then the steampunk technology.

Sadly, the book just couldn't hold my interest. Unlike other books of the genre, there was no explanation as to HOW or WHY the creatures/machines came to be. Nor is there much backstory at all, it feels like a backstory was hinted to many, many times, but there was no depth other then 'oh his dad was from a line of royals' or 'oh her dad was a flier'. Maybe westerfeld is hinting at a prequel or maybe he expands on this in later books, but I really don't feel like I want to read two (or more) books just to find out about the characters.

Speaking of the characters: I felt like they were Mary sue and John Doe, mostly they seemed like stock characters that were put in to get together and make the idea a story. Alek seemed like a spoiled, impulsive brat, and even though he had up to four people always there to give him solid advice, he refused to listen and ended up getting himself in trouble for it. Daryn (AKA Dylan) seemed to be even more of a stock character, and I honestly can't explain her personality other then that she MUST be a flier.

All-in-All the book is a lackluster one, which had some promise, but sadly, failed to deliver.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan.