Deborah O'Carroll's Reviews > World-Building from the Inside Out

World-Building from the Inside Out by Janeen Ippolito

19951545

bookshelves: audiobooks, realm-makers, writing, non-fiction, 4-stars-great, adult, giveaway, on-literature

Listened to the audiobook version (thanks to the author for a free code to listen to it!).

This was an interesting listen--I probably would have gotten more out of it if I'd read it, because then I would have made a few notes, but given that I don't get around to reading non-fiction very much, it was rather handy to listen to here and there while taking walks or doing mindless tasks like laundry.

I enjoyed it on the whole. I don't know (yet) how practically helpful it will be for my own writing/worldbuilding, but it was definitely interesting. There's an idea or two that it got stirring, so I'm glad for that, and it's definitely thought-provoking.

I'm not much of a "do things by the books" person, so the idea of having to painstakingly go through each of the sections and build a culture and society in all those areas sounds excruciating to me... but others might find this very helpful. The different sections were enlightening and kind of look at "how things work"--even if sometimes I didn't quite agree that it needed to be that way. XD A lot of it was super fascinating! And the lists were helpful.

It's easy to get caught up in way too much minutiae when writing and worldbuilding, so I like to take things like this with a grain of salt, but if there's something that's helpful, go for it!

I'm definitely glad I read (er... listened to) this, and I'm grateful for some of the helpful tidbits and ideas and thoughts it was able to share. I will likely either re-listen to it or read a readable version of it at some point.

Yay for worldbuilding and adding depth and interest to our stories! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World-Building from the Inside Out.

August 30, 2018 – Started Reading
September 3, 2018 – Shelved as: adult
September 3, 2018 – Shelved as: giveaway
September 3, 2018 – Shelved as: on-literature
September 3, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Grace (new) - added it

Grace Morris Hmm, this sounds like something I would like to read. I love trying to build my own cultures and societies in my books that I am writing. Lovely review!

Deborah O'Carroll Grace wrote: "Hmm, this sounds like something I would like to read. I love trying to build my own cultures and societies in my books that I am writing. Lovely review!"

Awesome! Yeah, you might enjoy this--it has all kinds of great starting-off points and tricks and ideas. :) Thanks!

message 3: by Grace (new) - added it

Grace Morris Deborah wrote: "Grace wrote: "Hmm, this sounds like something I would like to read. I love trying to build my own cultures and societies in my books that I am writing. Lovely review!"

Awesome! Yeah, you might enj..."

No problem. 😉