Once Upon a Twilight's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Dec 26, 2011

This one took me awhile to read, mostly because real life got in the way and partly because there is a lot going on and you have to pay attention while you read. It reminded me of the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series as far as how I had to read it. It isn't a book that you can just breeze through, you have to process it and digest it so you don't get lost. If you are looking for a quick/easy read, this is not the book for you. This book demands that you pay attention to the characters and storyline or you will most likely become lost or lose interest. Although it took me longer to read than other books I've read recently (because of the reasons above), it was totally worth it.

Diana Bishop is a headstrong woman, who also happens to be a witch who refuses to use her powers. While doing research in the library she comes across a text later known as Ashmole 782. She knows there is something magical about this text, and she is frightened by what it could mean, so she sends it back to the shelves. In discovering the text, though, she opens up a whole world of hidden creatures, one in particular becomes very significant to the story, vampire Matthew Clairmont.

The story as well as the characters grow and evolve throughout the book and I for one cannot wait for the next one in this trilogy, not due out until 2012.

review link: http://www.onceuponatwilight.com/2011...

Laura I read this book over ths summer and thought it was delightful. If you can accept the premise in Harry Potter that there are wizzards, then whiches and vampires are no problem!I'm looking forward to the coming out this summer.

Gladys (glad4twilight) great review it was hard to get through at the beginning whew!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) I so loved this book and got into it right away but was aware that I needed to read slowly and pay attention - got that from an Outlander thread. I consider this my favorite read of 2011 and highly recommend the audio. I bought and listened to it when driving just a month after I read the book and realized a few things I missed in the book. Nothing major but it was a great read and a great listen!

Gladys (glad4twilight) I also voted this as my fav read

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) When is that vote over? Or is it?