zigg's Reviews > The Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality

The Invisible Orientation by Julie Sondra Decker

On one hand, this is a thorough book. On the other, this is a thorough book.

If you’re looking to understand asexuality (maybe you had someone close to you share their identity with you?) this book feels about as authoritative as you can get about asexuality, considering that there is a large spectrum and this book seeks to cover about as much of it as it can.

But I can understand this, as a bisexual man with a number of bisexual friends. None of us is exactly the same as the other. It stands to reason that asexuality also encompasses a wide spectrum of identity. It’s important and this book succeeds, I think, at covering a lot of the possibilities.

It’s easy to get a little bogged down, though, because there is so much going on, particularly if you—like me—were only passingly familiar with asexuality before. I needed to take my time, putting the book down more than I usually do and coming back later recharged.

But it was worth it. I feel better-educated, better-prepared to listen, better-prepared to not say poorly-thought-out things. This is where you need to go if you want to understand asexuality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Orientation.

August 30, 2018 – Shelved