Maraia's Reviews > Not the Girls You're Looking For

Not the Girls You're Looking For by Aminah Mae Safi

bookshelves: read-in-2018, g-ya-fiction, diverse-representation

This is an important book that about feeling split between two cultures and trying to figure out how to fit in. In addition to addressing racism and multiculturalism, the book also deals with safe sex and violence against women. It is a feminist, sex-positive, girl-power story that I hope will empower many teen girls. It’s one of only two YA contemporaries I can think of that actually portrays a visit to a gynecologist, which is amazing to see. Only two things stopped me from giving a full 5-star rating. One is the fact that I struggled to connect with the boy-chasing, party hard aspect of the main character’s personality. That doesn’t mean Lulu’s story isn’t a realistic or valid one, it’s just very different from my own high school experience. I also disliked the frequent use of the word “bitch,” especially when used by girls to put down other girls and women.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not the Girls You're Looking For.

August 30, 2018 – Started Reading
August 30, 2018 – Shelved
September 3, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
September 3, 2018 – Shelved as: g-ya-fiction
September 3, 2018 – Finished Reading
May 28, 2019 – Shelved as: diverse-representation

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Miss Bookiverse You forgot about the gyn visit in American Panda ;)

Maraia Miss Bookiverse wrote: "You forgot about the gyn visit in American Panda ;)"

You’re right!

Miss Bookiverse But in general you're right. These scenes are very sparse even though they are so important/significant in a young woman's/girl's life.

Maraia Miss Bookiverse wrote: "But in general you're right. These scenes are very sparse even though they are so important/significant in a young woman's/girl's life."

Exactly. I wish we'd see more of them. The scene in this book was pretty detailed, too.