Jill's Reviews > Spying in High Heels

Dec 26, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: kindle
Read in December, 2011

Actually probably more of a two and a half. Very light mystery, funny at times. Heroine is like an LA version of Stephanie Plum. I ordered the first five on my kindle during the amazon daily deal ($1.99 for five books) and I will probably read all five, but I don't know if I'd continue with the series after that.

Things that bugged... Many "topical" cultural references which fit with the LA theme but felt very dated, even though the book is only five years old. In fact, if I'd had to guess when the book was published, I would have guessed 2000 or even earlier. It drove me crazy that she didn't take the pg test earlier, especially since it wasn't important to the plot. I guessed (correctly) the murderer fairly early on.

Things I liked... I did LOL at a few parts, she does the funny pretty well. The heroine was likeable, even if I wanted to shake her at times (take the damn pg test already!). The romantic angle is well done, if somewhat predictable. Very cinematic, it felt like it was ripped straight out of a rom-com, but hey, I like rom-coms.

Also, I wonder if the hard-copy book is as littered with typos, mis-spellings and grammatical errors as the e-book has been! There are often 2 or 3 per page! I may be fighting a losing battle here, but spell-check doesn't catch every error (all the errors I've found have been "spell-check proof"), copy editors/proofreaders exist for a reason!! Or do publishing houses even hire copy editors/proofreaders any more?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spying in High Heels.