Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance's Reviews > Addict

Addict by Matt  Doyle

53419883

3.75 Tech stars

A science-fiction mystery novella set in the near future where the addiction to virtual reality has become normal and tech-shifting is the way to pass the time and indulge into a little escapism.

Cassie Tam is a PI for hire and knows her ways around New Hopeland and its corrupt systems. During a slow spell, she is approached by Lori to investigate the death of her brother who is said to have died on an overdose. The police quickly call the case as another suicide by a VR junkie and therefore wrap it up like an open/close case. But Lori has her suspicions and can’t believe this is what her brother really did.

Lori is a Tech-shifter and after looking into the case initially Cassie meets her in the local scene to report to her what her initial findings were. This takes Tams and the reader into the undergrounds of Tech-shifters, where one can use a metal exoskeleton custom made to fuse with its wearer and role-play as anything one can think of.

Cassie quickly is attracted to Lori as she is a changed and an alluring animal when she uses her tech-suit. But professionalism comes before romance and together they actually make a great team as the case takes them deep into the wolf’s mouth. Just barely escaping with the answers they need, Cassie has the wit to play some high rollers in ingenious ways. The question is, will she crack the case? What will happen to the two of them romantically?

***

This was a great little novella. Albeit there was a short rocky moment after the initial beginning for me, I thought it was really well written throughout and thoroughly entertaining. The PI work that Cassie did reminds me of old fashioned detective work choreographed into a futuristic setting with ingenious twists.
This was the first novel in ‘The Cassie Tam Files’ and I’d like to thank the author for providing me with a digital copy in exchange of an honest review.
Thank you.

More of my reviews: https://scarlettreadzandrunz.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Addict.

July 31, 2018 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
July 31, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
August 29, 2018 – Started Reading