Nikki 's Reviews > Nine Coaches Waiting

Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary  Stewart

Dec 26, 2011

bookshelves: romance, mystery

Flail!

I don't know what it is about Mary Stewart. Normally I would detest romance, especially ones that are at heart as formulaic as hers: English girl goes to foreign country, meets a man or several men, falls in love, a mystery crops up at some point in the proceedings, and at some point in the proceedings she suspects her lover of being involved in something criminal, there's a heart-stopping very dramatic climax, and then it's over and the two get married. They may or may not be fairly closely related.

Honestly, that's almost all of Mary Stewart's books, bar the Arthurian ones, in a nutshell. But they still get me all giggly and flaily. It's not high literature, but by god, it's fun. I loved the fairytale references and the Jane Eyre references; I loved the sense of danger; yes, I even love the ridiculous over-dramatisation of a very unlikely plot. I love Raoul even though the whole plot is so transparent, and for the space of reading this book, I'd say yes to him just as breathlessly as Linda does. Linda herself is a bit of a cypher, but again, that's to be expected.

I'll make no bones about the fact that I don't think this book is really to be compared with Jane Eyre, or whatever, but I liked it enormously, so I defiantly give it four stars. Had it been more surprising to me, then it would have had all five.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine Coaches Waiting.