Leo T's Reviews > His Favorites

His Favorites by Kate Walbert

U 50x66

Read 2 times. Last read August 29, 2018.

With echoes of Faulkner: "The past is never dead, it's not even past" and F.S. Fitzgerald "borne back ceaselessly into the past", Kate Walbert writes another remarkable and memorable novel. Of a woman, many years after the events described, telling us the story of a life marked at a tender age by a tragedy occurring so very close to home and heart, and marred by the manipulations of a predator professor at the boarding school which she hoped would allow her to escape from her grief and guilt.
The author presents us with finely etched characters moving in a highly moralized landscape. Hints of the time and its era are skillfully, subtly provided: the Equal Rights Amendment, an Elton John album, an 8-track tape player in a car.
As always, Kate Walbert gives us images like burnished stars which, as with the songs we listen to, stay in our heads (her mother's cigarette "smoke leaking from her nose like a dragon at rest") long after we have read or heard them for the first time.
In Kate Walbert's novels she is a master of "voices", uncanny at times, which draw us in right from the start: The Gardens of Kyoto: "I had a cousin, Randall, killed on Iwo Jima. Have I told you?" And here: "This is not a story I've told before. No one would believe me. I mean really believe me." This is a story worth reading more than once. Believe it. Enjoy the reward.
Also Highly Recommended: A Short History of Women - one of the NYTS "Ten Best Books of the Year."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Favorites.

August 29, 2018 – Started Reading