Asha Seth's Reviews > The Passage

The Passage by Justin Cronin

it was ok
bookshelves: 2016

I’d read somewhere about how a writer wrote a book based on his 8-year old daughter’s request. A request that said the book must have – A girl who saves the world and vampires.

The writer is Justin Cronin, The girl - Iris (his daughter), and The book - The Passage.

The Passage is not a book for a leisure read. It takes up your time, consuming energy and testing your patience. It gets under your skin, crawls right through your flesh, leaving you restless and agitated.

It’s an 800-page mammoth and the more you delve deeper, the more your caught in it. To begin with ‘The Passage’ is not just about walkers or virals, as it may seem. It is strongly centered around the dystopian tension that slowly dwindles into loosely packed chapters and ambiguous characters and so many at that that I can hardly remember their names.

The book is two parts apart. First part speaks at length about few main characters. Amy, a 6-year-old girl left stranded by her mother. Her mother who has committed a murder. Sister Lacey, Amy’s caretaker at the convent. Brad Wolgast, the officer who is rounding up death row inmates also a part of government’s secret experiment mission.

The second part is all about the post-apocalyptic period where the government experiment fails leading to the rise of vampires that Cronin conveniently names Flyers, Smokes, Virals and Walkers. A group of people who fight their way to survival. This part of the book is bleedingly tiresome and hard to read another page.

It is the confusing blend of ideas and more so thoughts and ill-written dialogues that make The Passage a tedious read. Characters are too many and the weak portrayal of their personalities just adds to the burn. Neither is Amy’s story clearly defined. The overall plot and more so the ending subtly hints at the following sequel which less excites you after having endured the first book.

It is less of a promising read if you are someone not tempted by vampire tales and the aftermath of wrongly gone scientific experiments. But if you have a long journey to make and the free travel time worries you, you might as well give this one a chance.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passage.

Quotes Asha Liked

Justin Cronin
“We live, we die. Somewhere along the way, if we're lucky, we may find someone to help lighten the load.”
Justin Cronin, The Passage