Jen's Reviews > Sandry's Book

Dec 25, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, high-fantasy, magic, read-in-2011, young-adult
Read from December 23 to 25, 2011

While I don't think the Circle of Magic series is Tamora Pierce's strongest work, I really do find it refreshing how different it is from the various Tortal books (including Beka Cooper, though that series is also different from the other Tortal books).

I enjoy how the POV switches between four different characters so we get a sense of everything those characters go through, and I really like that even though the storyline of each book is focusing quite a bit on the title character, that character needs the help of all the others to get through their personal trials and do something fantastic.

The lack of romance is really nice and would make this series more appropriate for younger audiences, and that coupled with the inclusion of a main male character might appeal more for a boy than the Tortal books since those usually follow a girl from youth to coming of age to awesomeness in adulthood and all the romantic thoughts and feelings that would imply.

I think that the world and magical system of the Magic Circle books are intriguing enough on their own to make reading these books worth it, and on top of that, the children, their magical exploration, and how they grow as characters are equally as intriguing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sandry's Book.