Mike's Reviews > Broad Band: The Untold Story of the Women Who Made the Internet

Broad Band by Claire L.  Evans

bookshelves: library-eaudio, 2018-years-best

While it certainly covered the usual suspects - Ada Lovelace and Grace Hopper - this book also introduced me to a number of other women who played key roles in the development of computing, but who I had never heard of, such as the ENIAC Six and some of the pioneers of online community and hypertext.

While very occasionally tendentious, it's mostly in the style I think of as "good popular journalism" - revealing something more than the bare facts about the subjects, showing their humanity and particularity, while clarifying their importance in wider cultural terms, as representatives of greater movements.

I listened to the audio version, read by the author; it's a professional job, without any flourishes.

Women in technology is certainly an important topic; currently, we seem to be cutting off the input of half of the people who will be living with the results, and that's foolish on the face of it. We need books like this to remind us that many of the foundations of our current technologies were laid by women, and what a fine job they did of it. I hope this encourages young women into tech careers, and also helps men pause for thought before dismissing women's contributions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broad Band.

August 28, 2018 – Shelved