Brigitte 's Reviews > If We Fall

If We Fall by Nina Lane

bookshelves: 2018, adult, contemporary, romance, mystery

The prequel to this duet left us guessing as to what happened for everything to change so drastically. This one brings out the heartbreaking event following a happy one. It's intense, raw and souldestroying.

Josie left her hometown with a broken heart and she returns ten years later to try and get some closure by means of her art.

Cole is no longer the "boy" she used to know. He has deviated from his ambitions to become a merciless tycoon.

Although Josie expects to come face to face with Cole on her return, she doesn't expect it to happen so soon. She is shocked by the changes in him. His physical beauty as well as his detached demeanour. She is a still heartbroken, but seeing him reminds her of some of the happy moments, but he doesn't give anything away. Does he even care anymore?

He notices the changes in her, like he used to, ten years ago. His urge to protect her gets the better of him whilst he tries to push her away at the same time. The pull that they once had still burns brightly, but he tries to bury it! He attempts to sabotage her project. The very reason of her return until he discovers what she has been through for the past ten years. Will he relent and rekindle what they once shared or will he stick to the belief of his unworthiness?

I gobbled up this part of the story despite all the angst and misery. Although Cole appears to have changed drastically for the worse, the old Cole is still there. Josie sees through him and when he divulges the reasons for his actions, my heart went out to both of them. The cruelty and hatred of the community towards Cole are vindictive, but he takes it all in his strides. I love Cole and Josie, but not so sure about Nathan. This ends with a cliffhanger that left me wanting to find out how it all ends. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I was kindly issued with an eARC and the views expressed are my personal opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If We Fall.

August 28, 2018 – Shelved