Calvin Hecht's Reviews > Deadline

Deadline by Randy Alcorn

7208952
Dec 25, 2011

The bad news: I downloaded the e-book version, and I don't know if the semantic noise I found was because of that format or inherent within the paper version. The semantic noise I ran into was around a dozen typos and several instances of possessive nouns lacking the apostrophe. Although I was not proofreading per se (if I were, I probably would have found more errors), the fact that the errors occurred distracted part of my concentration on the story.

Having said that, the crime story was entertaining and the underlying Christian theme was artfully woven into the crime story in a compelling manner that is sure to resonate with evangelical Christians. Although the descriptions of Heaven were somewhat unorthodox, nevertheless they were not objectionable, and will certainly give the reader pause to consider Heaven and its possibilities. On a similar vein, the description of Hell was vivid and should give readers even more pause to consider their afterlife destination if the escape that is detailed in the book is ignored.

Finally, despite the typos and punctuation problems, the author does something excellent that I have not seen any other author do, and that is use words that are in the common lexicon versus other author's too often attempts to impress readers with multi-syllable words of uncommon usage. The author's use of common language----not necessarily simple language, but the language of everyday use----makes for an easy read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.