Felicia's Reviews > The Spirit Thief

The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron

bookshelves: fantasy

So I'm giving this four stars because I have read all three books in the series and so I'm rating the series overall as such this far. The second and third books are actually better than this first one. A REALLY REALLY fun series that fantasy fans will enjoy if they like their entertainment fluffy and light, and the books get better and better, so I would definitely encourage you to check it out!

This is a familiar fantasy-renaissance world, but where everything has a "spirit", water and air and even objects like doors and signs etc. The hero of the story is Eli Monpress, a dude who wants to be the most famous thief in the world, and is basically obsessed with raising the bounty on his head. Eli can be kind of irritating in his egoism, but the other characters are great, I particularly love his companion characters, Nico and Josef. (And they get more and more interesting in books 2 and 3).

I really REALLY like the world building here, and as the books go on the world gets more and more fleshed out. Super fun and interesting, I love the sense of humor that a main character can TALK to a door. Overall there is a very tongue in cheek attitude here that I super loved. And there's no heavy romance stuff (which guys might appreciate in the morass of lady-fiction I'm uploading :) )

If you like Diana Wynne Jones or any light fantasy like Piers Anthony etc, I think you might really like this series! It is definitely written at a young adult level too, so teens would def like it.

I can't wait for the next one out next summer!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spirit Thief.

Started Reading