FlibBityFLooB's Reviews > Hell's Pawn

Hell's Pawn by Jay Bell

Dec 25, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: succubi-or-inccubi, lgbt-characters, read-in-2012, fantasy, will-never-read-again, zzauthor-bell-jay, male-author
Read from March 02 to 05, 2012

I think this wasn't quite what I expected going into the book. I read
Something Like Summer last year and quite enjoyed it, so I guess I was expecting more of a romantic element to this novel. I wouldn't actually classify the book as male/male romance at all. It was more of a theological fantasy with a gay lead.

The first third of the book was very intriguing to me, and I had trouble putting the book down. However, after that point it really started to drag for me and I begin to question whether I was going to be able to finish it. Still, I wanted some of my questions answered, and there would be some occasional scenes that were quite unexpected and interesting -- for example, a scene where an incubus gets his arm stuck inside someone's body. I won't say more than that as I don't want to spoil the book for anyone who hasn't read it.

Anyway, I felt like the author fell asleep thinking about a Catholicism and had a bizarre-dream which crossed Sidhartha, Star Wars, and Clash of the Titans. I know that isn't likely what happened, but it was such a hodge-podge of theologies that I was a little befuddled in the end.

I decided that for the parts I did like, I'll give it 3 stars. But, I wouldn't recommend it to the average 'romance-lover' reader.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hell's Pawn.

03/03/2012 page 60