Energy's Reviews > Broken

Broken by Crystal Kaswell

54301934

Told through the past and present, in Trent's view and Delilah's we learn their complicated story. I like Trent, a lot, and there's so much more to him that she is unwilling to see at first. His love for her is solid, completely irrelevant of time, and he's hurting. Wondering why she left him behind.

Delilah's aversion to him spending his money is very relatable, but I do find her incredibly selfish. As a sufferer from PTSD, I understand that depression can make us shut ourselves off to the world, but it doesn't make us turn everything going on in the world about ourselves. Her selfishness is even brought up in the book, so I'm glad that it was made an issue, because Trent is broken too, and he needs help healing.
Delilah has a particular personality, and likes things just so, such as how she takes her tea. I felt that often times the author got carried away in the descriptions of the most mundane things. (such as how she makes her tea. The reader doesn't need a step by step multiple times, it doesn't move the story forward).

But when I get over the things I don't like and start thinking about what I do like, theres some great writing in there. I haven't read any other work by Kaswell for comparison, but she has a unique way of writing in stilted sentences. It's very effective and gets across exactly what she's intending in the moment, the angst and hurt, the love and adoration. On top of the love story, there's a good message about healing and moving on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.

August 24, 2018 – Started Reading