Wren (WhatWrenReads)'s Reviews > When We Caught Fire

When We Caught Fire by Anna Godbersen

it was ok
bookshelves: 2018-release, historical-fiction, 2-star, arc-read

If i read up to at least 50% of a book, I find it hard to just DNF it. I mentioned I was just gonna DNF this but I decided I may as well give it a shot to see if I would enjoy the last half more than the first half.

Unfortunately, this book wasn't for me. The concept was really interesting but I just found it way too slow for my liking. For being just under 400 pages, the pace of the story moved at a snail's pace. I kept expecting it to pick up but never quite did, and at around halfway through the book, it felt like nothing had really progressed, and those 150-200 pages could have been condensed to half that amount at least.

The time period could have added so much detail to this story that could have made it more interesting, but I could hardly notice the fact that it was set in 1871, the characters and story all seemed to be caught up in some timeless period with no clear world building to really draw the reader into the time period.

As well, I struggled with the characters. I found that all 3 main characters were either unlikable, confusing or both. Anders, the love interest, was hard to understand and his motivations were unclear. Emmeline was unbearable to read, her personality was so frustrating I really could not stand her. Fiona's personality was lost in the clutter of everything else, and her character development was left in the shadow of Emmeline's personality.

By the halfway mark, I had no interest in knowing where the story was going or where the characters would end up. A lot of the time I was confused of the general plot line and what was happening, so I decided to skim the last little bit.

On the other hand though, this cover is absolutely stunning. It is definitely a favourite as of recent.

I'd also love to know if anyone has read Anna Godbersen's other series (I never did) and whether or not you enjoyed that and if you have or will be reading this one!

my other reviews

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When We Caught Fire.

August 27, 2018 – Shelved
August 27, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 27, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-release
October 20, 2018 – Started Reading
page 150
52.08% "DNF for now"
52.08% "DNF for now

Incredibly slow, especially for it being almost 400 pages. Emmeline was unbearable to deal with, Fiona's personality was lost in the clutter of everything else, and Anders was impossible to understand. I really have no interest in any of these characters or where the story is going."
October 26, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction