Robin Loves Reading's Reviews > Murder Mile

Murder Mile by Lynda La Plante

bookshelves: 2018-challenge, kindle, netgalley, july-september-2018

Please see all of my reviews on my blog at www.robinlovesreading.blogspot.com.

Newly promoted and assigned DS Jane Tennison is quick on the job when a woman is found murdered. Although new in rank, she certainly is not new in experience. Right in the middle of this case, yet another body is found. It appears that these murders might be connected and there is someone who could very well be a likely subject. Both Jane and her team work feverishly to try and find the murderer.

The story takes place in London 1979, where women police officers were not well respected, even if they had a rank, such as a Detective Sergeant, Jane faces such prejudice. However, she is no nonsense and is quite a vigorous worker. These facts make her an enjoyable character in Murder Mile. Her hardworking nature belies the rather rude and ignorant behavior of some of her fellow officers. Another interesting facet of this book is that it is set at a time then known as the "Winter of Discontent", which was an extremely difficult time in London history, including a bad political climate. This was in part responsible for the filth on the streets as is often mentioned in the novel. The tie-in to those times and the brutal murders discovered make the story a very interesting one.

Murder Mile had a bit of a slow start for me, but truly gained traction by the second murder. By then, I was a bit more involved with Jane and the other characters. As a matter of fact, it was rather difficult to put down at this point, and I ended up reading this book in two sittings. It was a rather gritty story, but that is exactly what I expect when it comes to reading crime fiction. Lynda La Plante kept me interested, especially during the investigative process while I remained in the dark as to who the killer was. This is the fourth in the Tennison series. Although I hadn't read the previous books, or have seen the connected television series, Prime Suspect, I was able to enjoy this as a standalone read. I look forward to continuing this series and seeing the growth of Jane Tennison.

Many thanks to Bonnier Zaffre and to NetGalley for this ARC to review; this is my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder Mile.

August 27, 2018 – Started Reading