tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > National Peep Extra

National Peep Extra by John Waters

liked it
bookshelves: film

This is clearly a "collector's item" but I wdn't sell it. It's one of those things I wd've picked up by being in "the right place at the right time" if being in Baltimore at any time cd be called such a thing. Right around the same time as this or slightly later, there was another fake tabloid out of Baltimore called "Rampage". I remember finding 1 or more copy/ies of that strewn in one of the rich neighborhoods (Roland Park - where Waters now lives) w/ a headline along the lines of "Rapist can't get it up". Waters was, of course, still fresh at this point & still making 16mm films.

Interestingly, Pat Moran, Waters' long-time associate & casting director, had to support herself as the manager of the Charles Theater around the time that Waters was transitioning to 35mm. I liked her & she always let me in the theater for free b/c I think she appreciated what a freak I was. Anyway, the supposedly "interesting" part about all this is that when Moran was approached about screening 16mm films at the Charles she refused on the grounds that they were "baby stuff" - an astonishingly dumb thing to say considering that many of us feel that Waters did his best work in 16mm w/ things like "Pink Flamingos".

I'll never forget witnessing this film for the 1st time around 1973 at Johns Hopkins University. To say that I was shocked wd be an understatement. It was marvelous & this National Peep extra captures the flavor just right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read National Peep Extra.