Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*'s Reviews > The Wife Before Me

The Wife Before Me by Laura Elliot

EXCERPT: She tried to grip the edge of the bath and stand, but her fingers slid helplessly away. She was unable to struggle when he gripped her legs and pulled her down, shoved her head under the water. It roared in her ears, filled her mouth, blinded her. This was her nightmare, her memory, ready to claim her once again. She surfaced, gasping. She had to escape but her body was flaccid and she was unable to find the strength to push him away. He was smiling when he forced her down again. Blackness filled her eyes and it was no longer possible to fight him.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: One evening as the sun is setting, Amelia Madison’s car slides into the sea off Mason’s Pier. Her body is never found.

Two years later, Elena Langdon meets Nicholas Madison. She is grieving the loss of her mother, he is grieving for his wife. Together they can help each other.

Now Elena is living with Nicholas. But Elena doesn’t really know him. She doesn’t know what he is capable of.

And she doesn’t know what really happened to Amelia.

Until the day she discovers the torn page of a letter and the words she reads chill her to the bone.

Elena must find the person who wrote these letters if she is to save herself.

MY THOUGHTS: Dark. Despite the romantic beginning, The Wife Before Me is a very dark book.

Laura Elliot explores the reality that violence takes many forms, not just bruises and cracked ribs; that the emotionally vulnerable are easy prey for the manipulators, who seduce with words of love and romantic gestures, who sweep away those feelings of insecurity, guilt, and loneliness, who slowly separate you from your friends,your family, and systematically set out to destroy the person you were. It is rather like a cat playing with a mouse. No matter where you turn, he is there, waiting for you, ready to punish for any slight, real or imagined. Until he tires of the game. . .

The story is told from the points of view of both Elena, and Amelia, Nick's first wife, plus we get a few insights from Leanne, Amelia's friend which, I felt, only served to confuse.

While it is difficult to enjoy a book about spousal violence, especially graphic and detailed abuse both emotional and physical, it certainly kept me turning the pages. Until the end. The ending, I felt, let the book down. It felt like the author wasn't quite sure how to resolve the situation, so threw in the paranormal aspect. Not a good move. It instantly dropped a whole star from my rating.

☺☺☺.5

THE AUTHOR: Laura Elliot is the author of six novels, Stolen Child and The Prodigal Sister, published by Avon HarperCollins. Her novels, Fragile Lies, The Betrayal, Sleep Sister and Guilty are published by Bookouture. Her books have been widely translated and she has collaborated on a number of high-profile non-fiction books.

Aka June Considine, she is an author of twelve books for children and young adults. Her children's short stories have been broadcast and have appeared in a number of teenage anthologies.She gives regular workshops on creative writing.She has also worked as a freelance journalist and magazine editor but is now engaged full time in creative writing.

She lives in Malahide, Co Dublin, Ireland.

DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Bookouture via Netgalley for providing a digital ARC of The Wife Before Me by Laura Elliot. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions.

Please refer to my Goodreads.com profile page or the about page on sandysbookaday.wordpress.com for an explanation of my rating system.

This review and others are also published on my blog sandysbookaday.wordpress.com https://sandysbookaday.wordpress.com/...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wife Before Me.

August 26, 2018 – Shelved
September 3, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery
September 3, 2018 – Shelved as: paranormal
September 3, 2018 – Shelved as: stand-alone
September 3, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

The Cats Mother Interesting POV, I found the first half, about all the abuse really hard going, but liked that the ending introduced something a bit different to an otherwise overdone storyline, but that’s the wonderful thing about books (and reviews!) - we each get our own opinion, no right or wrong.
Brilliant review though, and thanks for the info about the author, I would not have believed she was a children’s writer!

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* The Cats Mother wrote: "Interesting POV, I found the first half, about all the abuse really hard going, but liked that the ending introduced something a bit different to an otherwise overdone storyline, but that’s the won..."

Thank you. I like how we all appreciate different facets of the books we read 😎 I think this author is one talented lady. Although I haven't done so yet, I will be checking out her children's titles.