tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Die-Cut Plug Wiring Diagrams

Die-Cut Plug Wiring Diagrams by Mark Pawson

liked it
bookshelves: artists-books

Mark Pawson tends to focus on small scale things - he collects toys & their packaging graphics, he collects these wiring diagrams for people who attach their own plug-ends. The thing that interests me about this is precisely this issue of SCALE. Famous Artists tend to do things on large scales. It's precisely the larger-than-human scale of their projects that calls attn to itself. Claes Oldenburg's giant metal Mickey Mouse head or Christo's wrapping of the Reichstag; Hollywood movies that require huge crews & millions of dollars - the amassing of resources that represents POWER.

Mark is strongly of the DIY school. Of course he'd notice these small diagrams for attaching the plug-ends DIY style. Of course he'd pay attn to small scale things. I, personally, am less interested in the latest Spielberg mega-million dollar blockbuster than I am in the movie made by someone w/ very little financial resources, the movie made w/ a cheap camera, w/ no funding, etc.. It's what people who aren't trying to grab the reigns of power are doing that interests me - people creating alternatives to power-mongering hierarchies. Mark makes alotof of these bk-works using some sort of collective copy-shop, some place in London created as a political alternative to corporate chains, someplace worker controlled. It's precisely this reorganization of power along more democratic & less scale-spectacular lines that makes Mark's work important.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Die-Cut Plug Wiring Diagrams.

Finished Reading
June 21, 2008 – Shelved
June 21, 2008 – Shelved as: artists-books

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

You look at/read some of the most obscure books...

tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE There're MILLIONS of people being mind-controlled by flavor-of-the-month content. If a person really wants to learn something, then they have to look elsewhere. Fantasies of lifestyles of the rich & famous are just another variation on Pavlov's dog salivation experiments. I prefer to slip out of my chain rather than respond to its being jerked. Bks like Mark Pawson's help w/ that process - even if the how-so? ain't obvious. In other words, yes, you're right.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Recommend something obscure and interesting...preferably a book that could be followed by a 25 year old that is finally getting to go to college! :)

tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE That's a tall order, Sarah! If you look thru my bookshelves on GoodReads & pick out anything I've given a 4 or 5 star rating to that automatically counts as a recommendation. Of course, the problem w/ "obscure" is that the bk wd probably be very hard to find. Let's try to narrow it down a bit, eh? Fiction or Nonfiction?

If you're interested in the latter, I very highly recommend "The Politics of Heroin" by Alfred W. McCoy - but it is a somewhat thick bk & you might find it hard to get into.

As for Fiction?! Whew! There's so much that I like for many different reasons. I might recommend 10 different things, they might all be long bks, & you might only be able to get into ONE of them or maybe none at all.

Maybe George Perec's "A Void"? You might be able to order a copy thru a new bk store or find it online thru Amazon, it's not too long, & it's very clever & easily readable.

In Science-Fiction? Maybe "The Ugly Swans" by the Strugatsky Brothers? In poetry? Maybe Hannah Weiner's "Clairvoyant Journal" or one of Kenneth Patchen's picture poem bks like "Hallelujah Anyway" or "But Even So"?

For that matter, I'd be willing to send you a copy of one of my bks in trade for something. Don't post yr address here though since this is a public space! I'll send you a private email w/ my address & if you send me something in trade I'll send you something back. What to send me? You decide. Something obscure & interesting I suppose - maybe something that you make but it doesn't have to be. NO MONEY! (Unless it's counterfeit or some such - wch wd make it obscure & interesting!)