Karen Deblieck's Reviews > By Darkness Hid

By Darkness Hid by Jill Williamson

Dec 24, 2011

As a Writer... Williamson has a wonderful and unique style of writing that is very beautiful. I enjoyed the original descriptions and pictures that she painted with words. She also has a wealth of knowledge about castles and medieval weaponry that comes out in her writing. Sometimes I found the story line got weighed down by the in depth descriptions-I admit to some skimming to see what happens next. Both Achan and Vrell were believably portrayed. It was a wonderful and enjoyable read - I would recommend this book to adults and young adults alike!

As a Christian... This book is definitely Christian in nature. What is wonderful is that Williamson weaves this into the story in a way that is not overt. I enjoyed finding the references to God because I did not feel like it was being shoved down my throat. I really appreciated this as the plot and the crafting of the story really had a chance to shine without being bogged down by the author's agenda.

As a Mother... I would give this book to my own children without hesitation. There are some allusions to the marriage bed and mistresses but nothing explicit. Definitely a story for those twelve and older (adults will enjoy this book as well).

I enjoyed this book and I look forward to reading the second in the series. Williamson is a wonderful writer with a bright future. I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By Darkness Hid.