Trish R.'s Reviews > A Man of Some Repute

A Man of Some Repute by Elizabeth Edmondson

liked it

So, this was what I would call a cozy mystery since I’ve never read one. I can only guess that they’re simply written with no romance and no swearing.

The players: Hugo and his 13 year old sister Georgia and his brother Father Leo and Freya, the niece of the murder victim, Lord Selchester, who disappeared 7 years earlier, and was suddenly discovered under the chapel tiles when workers were repairing something. And then it was all about figuring out who did it and why.

It was supposed to have occurred in 1947 and 1953 but there wasn’t a damn thing that would have me believing it wasn’t happening right now. Nothing was described as being in the 20th century. It could have been this year and 7 years ago. I was hoping for more about the 1940's and 1950's in England.

Also, what was all the Chapter 1 Scene 1, 2, 3. Chapter 2 Scene 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. I felt like I was reading a TV script. That was kind of silly.

Anyway, it was a pretty good mystery, if a little boring at times, and there were lots of unanswered questions so it was left unfinished but not a cliffhanger, it just left it open to the next book.

Since this was a free read and free listen I might read the next book. We’ll see.

As to the narration: Michael Page read the book without making you feel anything. Same tone throughout. However, it was just that kind of book. No excitement, no danger to speak of, never a need to whisper or yell. He was kind of bland because the book was kind of bland. Also, his women’s voices really need some work BUT he has a great reading voice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Man of Some Repute.

August 25, 2018 – Started Reading
August 25, 2018 – Shelved
August 25, 2018 –
30.0% "I'm not very far but it's pretty good so far."
August 26, 2018 – Finished Reading