Riodelmartians's Reviews > The Way We Live Now

The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope

Jun 21, 2008

it was ok

i've read two times and it gets better every time; some of the greatest female heroes around

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way We Live Now.

08/19/2016 marked as: read

Inder I absolutely agree. Trollope's women are fantastic. As I said in one of my reviews (can't remember which), he must have had sisters, or a great mom - he treats women with respect, sympathy, and insight far beyond his time (or his male peers). Only women authors like George Eliot and Elizabeth Gaskell do a better job.

I loved The Way We Live Now as well, and can't wait to reread it one day (after I finish the other thousand books I really want to read, including the entire Palliser series and everything else Trollope wrote!). Delightfully scathing.

I can't get through the front page of the Wall Street Journal without thinking about it. Some things never change.

Riodelmartians of course, fanny trollope was his mom and she wrote all about the customs of those americans

Inder I heard she was fairly second rate, is this true? Have you read any Fanny Trollope? I have also heard that Lady Carbury's character is based (very) loosely on her.

Riodelmartians yes, heard the same thing yet haven't read a snippet of her writing. I didn't know that about Lady Carbury. Will pay attention to her next time I am in that realm. She also appears in The Breakfast Table per my character summary. Have you read any Sybille Bedford? I have to update my good reads. You must read Jigsaw.