Nina ~ Meleth Bookaddicted ~'s Reviews > The Best Laid Plans

The Best Laid Plans by Lauren Gallagher

bookshelves: arcs, audio-books, m-m-f

This book defies quite a few clichés. First is the impression of it being an MMF ménage, where usually you have three people each falling for the other two (which is also the reason why I usually prefer MMF over MFM). Well, if you read the blurb, you’ll realize that this might not be the case with this one – which was as much of a breath of fresh air as it was making me skeptical. Also, which absolutely surprised me and had me falling for the story, there is the fact that while this book might be spiked with lots of hot and carnal sex as to be expected with a ménage, it has so much substance, so much depth about real life problems (which in all honesty shouldn’t be a problem at all nowadays, though much of the society thinks otherwise), that it becomes an emotional rollercoaster.

A happily married gay couple who yearns to have their own children and a good female friend who wants to put an end to all the denials they already had to endure over the years whenever they tried to adopt – denial not even over the most obvious reason, no, but because of their mixed-religion marriage. Kendra’s offer is huge: to be the surrogate mother for their kid – only she wants to receive the old-fashioned way with the bisexual Gabe. Trouble is inevitable, seeing that Shahid, who is gay, will be somewhat left out in the whole process…

Before you ask: No, this story is not at all about cheating! These three are actually quite mature people to talk things out, communicate instead of always jump to conclusions on their own – well, at least most of the time. Of course they have obstacles to overcome, fears to fight, and they learn things about one another and themselves they never thought were possible.

The narration. Lia Langola. To be frank, she is what drew me to this story by Lauren Gallagher, who was new to me, in the first place. I just love her beautiful sultry voice and the way she breathes lives into the characters. She is about the only female narrator who can do male voices I actually feel attracted to – which is saying something! Michael Ferraiuolo was new to me, but I liked his deeper, smooth voice instantly. He had to do the narrative from both male perspectives, which he did wonderfully overall, but there were times it was hard to tell which voice we were actually listening to.

All in all, I loved listening to this story that blindsided me a time or two and thoroughly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Laid Plans.

August 25, 2018 – Shelved