Petrik's Reviews > A Feast for Crows

A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin

liked it
bookshelves: owned-ebooks

A Feast for Crows was quite good but it’s far below the incredible standard set by the previous three books.

I’ve mentioned in my previous review that A Storm of Swords could truly be the height of Martin’s writing career and I still stand by that statement confidently. Unfortunately, there’s a huge chance that this book will be the other way around by being the lowest point of the series. There’s a lot of circumstances to consider here. If I’ve waited 5 years before I read this book, I definitely would’ve hated it and give this at max 2 stars rating. If I haven’t received any warning on the odd structure of the story and character’s POV choices, I most likely would’ve disliked it more. If I haven’t watched the TV series, I probably would’ve enjoyed or disliked it more. And if I haven’t read A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms or in the midst of reading The World of Ice and Fire, again, I most likely will dislike this book even more. Putting all circumstances into consideration, my experience of reading A Feast for Crows wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be but it was truly a disappointment after the brilliance of the previous book.

Picture: A Feast for Crows by Marc Simonetti

I don’t think there are any new pros or cons about this book I can convey in my review. Everyone who’ve read this installment will know what my problems with it are. Let’s start with the odd structural choices that Martin chose. In any kind of series, when you write a direct sequel, it’s simply insanity to not have the main characters (unless they’re dead) in it, especially when the main characters are pretty much majority of the reader’s favorites. Well, Martin did exactly that. He left out the main characters for the next book instead. To make things even worse, the characters that he focused on here are mostly uninteresting side characters. In my opinion, the chapters that don’t feature any character’s name as the title in this book were just maddeningly boring; specifically the Ironborn and Dorne storyline.

“Words are like arrows, Arianne. Once loosed, you cannot call them back.”

Reading the Ironborn’s story was easily one of the most boring and cringe-worthy experience I’ve ever had in reading fantasy. Who cares about the Ironborn anyway? “What is dead may never die,” is a stupid catchphrase. Try telling that to Reek’s dead cock and see if that would mean anything. I’ve also heard from a lot of book purist that the TV series butchered the Dorne’s storyline. What is there to butcher when the story is super uninteresting already? I haven’t read A Dance with Dragons but from what I’ve read so far, the Ironborn and Dorne storyline was utterly boring and uninteresting.

Finally, there was also a major problem with pacing. Despite this book being the smallest in word counts, there was a myriad of content that simply didn’t add any value to the story or characterizations; the book could’ve been shortened and it most likely would’ve made for a better reading experience.

“He was beastly tired, but it was hard to stop. One more book, he had told himself, then I'll stop. One more folio, just one more. One more page, then I'll go up and rest and get a bite to eat. But there was always another page after that one, and another after that, and another book waiting underneath the pile. I'll just take a quick peek to see what this one is about, he'd think, and before he knew he would be halfway through it.”

That said, I was still able to finish the book in four days. I have always love Martin’s prose and his talent in characterizations—even though most of the central characters here were uninteresting—was still great. The two Lannister featured as the main POV in this book—whether you love or hate them—was superbly written. The world-building remained intricate and although it wasn’t as expansive as the previous three books, combine with the knowledge attained from reading A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and The World of Ice and Fire made me realize just how damn difficult it is to write this series. I also really wish that the TV series adaptation kept Lady Stoneheart; she appeared briefly near the end but her appearance completely spiked the intensity of this book. Finally, the last chapter of each character here was incredible and shows Martin’s terrific capability as a storyteller. However, I’m telling you now that all of them ended in quite a huge cliffhanger.

“History is a wheel, for the nature of man is fundamentally unchanging. What has happened before will perforce happen again.”

Overall, as I mentioned above, despite my enjoyment of reading Martin’s prose, A Feast for Crows ended up being a downgrade for A Song of Ice and Fire. If I’ve waited five years for this book and went into it without any knowledge on the awkward structural choices, I'm sure I would’ve been severely disappointed and rated it worse. One book left, A Dance with Dragons awaits me. Once I’m done with that, I’ll be joining every reader’s wait for The Winds of Winter.

You can order the book from: Book Depository (Free shipping)

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Feast for Crows.

Quotes Petrik Liked

“Words are wind.”

George R.R. Martin
“Words are like arrows, Arianne. Once loosed, you cannot call them back.”
tags: words

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

Evan Dame I'm re-reading this now to refresh my memory. I'm more the certain you'll finish before me, so I'm very interested to see how you think it compares to the first three books: GoT, CoK, and SoS, which I think were all awesome. This one, at least as far as I've read, is definitely a little more sluggish in the action department.

Evan Dame And it's also tough that all the character POVs I was so excited to read in the previous books are not here.

Gavin Great review, Petrik:) I'm with you on the Ironbore story arc being absolutely dreadful! I warmed to the Dorne story arc a bit as it went but could definitely have lived without it.

I'm not with you on on Lady Zombie. Best decision the TV show made was to bin that whole character:P

Petrik Evan wrote: "I'm re-reading this now to refresh my memory. I'm more the certain you'll finish before me, so I'm very interested to see how you think it compares to the first three books: GoT, CoK, and SoS, whic..."

I just finished it and I have to say that I agree with you. I still enjoyed it overall, but this one really slows down too much and the lack of Tyrion and Jon really hurt the enjoyment.

message 5: by Petrik (last edited Feb 11, 2019 06:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Petrik Gavin wrote: "Great review, Petrik:) I'm with you on the Ironbore story arc being absolutely dreadful! I warmed to the Dorne story arc a bit as it went but could definitely have lived without it.

I'm not with ..."

Thank you, Gavin! Ironbore is a good one! They were infuriatingly boring. Maybe I'll love the Dorne story arc in the next book, I loved the last chapter of the story arc and hopefully it will be better in ADwD. As for Lady Zombie, really!? I thought it was very interesting to see her! It really gives weight to the saying "The North Remembers," imo :D

Jethplain Which is for fave so far?

Petrik Jethplain wrote: "Which is for fave so far?"

A Game of Thrones and A Storm of Swords! :)

Jethplain Petrik wrote: "Jethplain wrote: "Which is for fave so far?"

A Game of Thrones and A Storm of Swords! :)"

Storm of Swords has one of my favorite Jon Snow moments! I felt like a mother who's child graduated from High School! hahaha

Petrik Jethplain wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Jethplain wrote: "Which is for fave so far?"

A Game of Thrones and A Storm of Swords! :)"

Hahhahaah don't tell me it's because (view spoiler) xD

Jethplain Petrik wrote: "Jethplain wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Jethplain wrote: "Which is for fave so far?"

A Game of Thrones and A Storm of Swords! :)"

Storm of Swords has one of my favorite Jon Snow moments! I felt like a m..."

hahahaha that and he got chosen as the new Lord Commander! I was like "you're a man now, Jon" I shed a tear of joy! hahaha

message 11: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah I'm also reading this series right now. I am flying through Storm of Swords, but I've heard from multiple people that books 4 and 5 aren't quite that good. I'm planning on reading 4 and 5 simultaneously since they apparently follow the same chronological timeline, just with different characters. I'll look forward to your review of book 5!

Petrik Jethplain wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Jethplain wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Jethplain wrote: "Which is for fave so far?"

A Game of Thrones and A Storm of Swords! :)"

Storm of Swords has one of my favorite Jon Snow moments! ..."

Ahhhh yes, the Lord Commander moment is certainly awesome! The sex part too I guess! xD

Petrik Hannah wrote: "I'm also reading this series right now. I am flying through Storm of Swords, but I've heard from multiple people that books 4 and 5 aren't quite that good. I'm planning on reading 4 and 5 simultane..."

message 14: by Elisa (new) - added it

Elisa Fernandes Oh my gosh, I'm struggling with the Iron Born story right now. In fact I breezed through the others but A Feast For Crows is taking longer and at this point I'm just aiming on finishing it so I can get to the next book!

Petrik Elisa wrote: "Oh my gosh, I'm struggling with the Iron Born story right now. In fact I breezed through the others but A Feast For Crows is taking longer and at this point I'm just aiming on finishing it so I can..."

Yeah... the Ironborn story is just freaking boring. Honestly, if you can't stand them, just skip it. There's plenty of summary out there that did a much better job than reading their story.

ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω Dude!! You read this is a measly FOUR DAYS?! HOW?! I've drowned in the bottom of this book for FOUR YEARS!! 😂😂😂😂😂 And I honestly had completely forgotten about the Ironborn & Dorne storylines. Thanks for the refresher on how blah they are lol. And yes, the segments on the Lannisters were definitely the best parts. And oh, we get the spice of cliffhangers in this one??? That might be the nudge i need to finally get my a as in gear and finish.

P.S. Sorry for the ramblings. Excellent review! 😁

ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω Drowned in the boredom**

Petrik ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω wrote: "Drowned in the boredom**"

Ironbore motto: "What is boring may never die"

message 19: by Emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma This is where I stopped reading I think...

Petrik Emma wrote: "This is where I stopped reading I think..."

For good reason... I think I'll read the next one though. Might as well, there's only one more xD

message 21: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel it was actually my favorite haha

Petrik Mel wrote: "it was actually my favorite haha"

Hhaaha that's good!! I'm glad it worked out for you, Mel! :)

message 23: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea Great review, Petrik!

It's a bit sad that book 4 and 5 couldn't keep up the high standard of books 1-3. I still do have hopes for Winds of Winter, though, when it comes out in approximately 2024 or so.

Hope you'll like book 5 more, at least it has more interesting characters but I still found it slooow!

Petrik Bea wrote: "Great review, Petrik!

Thank you, Bea! Yeah... this was a disappointment. I still have hipe for book 5 because my favorite characters will be back! Let's hope it will be a great one, ans then I'll join you and everyone in waiting for Winds xD

ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω @Petrik, lmao!! That should totally be the Ironborn motto xD And yay for moving onto book 5! The good characters are back! Can't wait to read your review on it ^_^

message 26: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Petrik wrote: "Yeah, that might be a good idea. I wouldn't say that it's painful, but it was definitely boring to read only side character's POV for the entirety of this book. :/"

I think that's why people were interested in reading books 4 and 5 at the same time. You get a lot of characters to keep it interesting instead of just the side characters in book 4. Regardless, I'm excited to read more of the series and SUPER excited for the final season of the show.

Petrik ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω wrote: "@Petrik, lmao!! That should totally be the Ironborn motto xD And yay for moving onto book 5! The good characters are back! Can't wait to read your review on it ^_^"

It definitely should be!! Hahahaha. And yayyy! :D

Petrik Hannah wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Yeah, that might be a good idea. I wouldn't say that it's painful, but it was definitely boring to read only side character's POV for the entirety of this book. :/"

I think that's w..."

Exactly! I'm actually still pretty excited about reading book 5. But reading book and book 5 is a great thing too. I've heard that book 5 at some points move further than book 4 though eventually, so you have to consider that! :)

And yeahhh! Cannot wait for the final season, it will be awesome!!

message 29: by TS (new) - added it

TS Chan Great review, my friend. Maybe when the illustrated edition comes out, I might give it a try again :P

message 30: by Petrik (last edited Feb 12, 2019 10:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Petrik TS wrote: "Great review, my friend. Maybe when the illustrated edition comes out, I might give it a try again :P"

Thank you, my friend! Hahahahaha, 2025 it is then! xD

Jethplain Petrik wrote: "Jethplain wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Jethplain wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Jethplain wrote: "Which is for fave so far?"

A Game of Thrones and A Storm of Swords! :)"

Storm of Swords has one of my favorite ..."

hahahaaha! If Jon had a diary

"Dear Diary, I got laid!!!

P.S. I'm now Lord Commander"

Petrik Jethplain wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Jethplain wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Jethplain wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Jethplain wrote: "Which is for fave so far?"

A Game of Thrones and A Storm of Swords! :)"

Storm of Swords has one ..."

Hahahaha that would be insane! (And believable...) xD