Kristen Ploetz's Reviews > Small Animals: Parenthood in the Age of Fear

Small Animals by Kim Brooks

This book could not have come out at a more perfect time for me (the mother of an almost 11yo). If you find yourself second guessing your gut feeling as a parent, wondering why you are so hyperaware of the things that can go wrong (but likely will not), and particularly if your decision making is often fueled by fear and/or anxiety, this is a must read. Brooks and her story, together with the research and other similar accounts woven throughout the book, made me feel less alone. More importantly, it gave me the hope I needed that I can, and must, do better by letting go more often. Letting go of rigid rules that do not benefit my child, but also letting go of what *others* will think when I do. Raising a tween with increasing amounts of independence is hard in much of today's shaming-obsessed culture and by reading Brooks' book, I see that I am not always parenting in a way that aptly ignores that, and that there's been a cultural shift that has sadly moved in the wrong direction since I was my daughter's age. I want to push against that going forward and not be afraid; Brooks shows me that it can be done.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Small Animals.

Started Reading