Marialyce's Reviews > The Line That Held Us

The Line That Held Us by David    Joy

bookshelves: edelweiss

4 hard to read but wondrously written stars

“There are some things worth dying for and some things worth killing for and some things that could make a man do all sorts of things he never knew he was capable of until the time came to do them.”

Darl Moody has had a dream, an adventure, a quest with nature that he has followed for quite some time. He has been chasing a buck, it being the focus of an undertaking, an achievement, a purpose, a way in which he pits himself against what life has offered him. He, in this compulsion to down that buck, decides to chase this dream onto another man's property. That decision, the one he makes in order to provide food to his sister as well as the give himself a purpose, provides what will ultimately be a cruel twist of fate. A mistake happens and Darl shoots a man, a man named Carol Brewer who himself was trespassing trying to steal ginseng. The Brewers are a violent family and when Carol's brother Dwayne looks to find Carol, the chase is on as to what had become of his brother. Frightened of Dwayne, Darl enlists the help of his best friend, Calvin, to help in concealing the body. The hunt is on as Dwayne, who often said that Carol was the one good thing in his life, searches for his brother and fulfills that "eye for an eye" mantra he so believes in.

This was a gritty tale, so well written that the words seem to fly up at you as you travel this road with the characters that show brotherly love, friendship and the hardness of a poor life in the Appalachian environment. Granted this book is vivid, the scenes are brutal, but the language and visions it evokes are fantastic, Mr Joy has captured a world of hardship, poverty, loneliness, and bleakness. The men rely on their basest instincts to find where survival lies. It is a raw story that unites the love one shares for a brother, a friend, and the willingness to sacrifice one's life for another. This is the line that held them. “You still can't see it and it's right in front of your eyes. It's the reason we're gathered here. The only reason we're here is because of the ones we loved. That the line that held us." This story of revenge, bad decisions, and perhaps salvation is a riveting story of what a person will do to seek their place in a society that is impoverished and suffering. It is truly a society that believes in reprisal and retribution.

Thank you to David Joy, G.P. Putnam's Sons and Edelweiss for a copy of this engrossing novel.
My reviews can be seen here: https://yayareadslotsofbooks.wordpres...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Line That Held Us.

August 25, 2018 – Started Reading
August 25, 2018 – Shelved
August 25, 2018 –
August 30, 2018 – Shelved as: edelweiss
August 30, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Lovely review, Marialyce! I am definitely intrigued by this book!

Dana Joy’s first book still haunts me and it sounds like this was similar. So well written. Great review, Marialyce!

Angela M Nice review, Marialyce. I enjoyed the story but it was too gruesome in parts for me . Glad you enjoyed it .

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz Beautifully written review. Thanks for putting this book on my radar.

Marialyce Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Lovely review, Marialyce! I am definitely intrigued by this book!"

Thanks, Jennifer! It certainly was an intriguing book.

Marialyce Dana wrote: "Joy’s first book still haunts me and it sounds like this was similar. So well written. Great review, Marialyce!"

Thanks so much,Dana. This was the first book of his that I have read. Hoping to pick up another of his.

Marialyce Angela M wrote: "Nice review, Marialyce. I enjoyed the story but it was too gruesome in parts for me . Glad you enjoyed it ."

It was certainly gruesome, Angela. Thank you!

Marialyce Liz wrote: "Beautifully written review. Thanks for putting this book on my radar."

I hope if you get a chance to read it, Liz, that you enjoy it.

message 9: by priya poul (new)

priya poul nice review

message 10: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad this was a gritty, riveting read for you, Marialyce ;) Super review! xox

Cheri Fantastic review, Marialyce, I am so glad that you enjoyed this so much!

JanB Great review Marialyce, and I love the quotes. I have this and looking forward to it!

Diane S ☔ Terrific review, Marialyce.

Susanne Strong Great review Marialyce!

Marialyce Thanks everyone for your lovely comments.

Paula Kalin Excellent review, Marialyce! Loved this book.

Melissa I love your review, Marialyce! I highly recommend checking out his two previous books, if you haven't already. 😉💜

Marialyce Thanks so very much Paula

Marialyce Thanks for the tip on his other books, Melissa! I will definitely check them out.I just want a few more reading hours in the day! :)

Brenda - Traveling Sister Excellent review, Marialyce!