Ifunanya Okolie's Reviews > Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

Read 2 times. Last read August 25, 2018 to September 11, 2018.

I was very emotional while reading Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs because I realized in the middle section of the book that the man I'd made my personal hero, the man I was reading about was going to die because, yes he died. Steve Jobs was always very intense about making great experiences by building products that we didn't know we needed until we felt them in our hands.
He was obsessed with everything he set his mind to and drew his inspiration from art and technology. In his own words, "My passion has been to build an enduring company where people were motivated to make great products. Everything else was secondary... and this he did. Even though I've never used any of Apple's products, I am a fan because of Steve Jobs, because of his intensity for making great products not for the money but for the impact it was going to have on humanity. This intensity was something that the people around him never really understood. As humans, we have our shortcomings and Steve Jobs was not an exception. He was not perfect because he did put a lot of people down, and while most people thought he was cruel and uncouth, he believed in being brutally honest, and this is what built him up as a brilliant communicator, motivating people way beyond what they thought they were capable of accomplishing.

On August 24, two months before he died, he relinquished control of Apple and when Walter Isaacson asked him how he really felt, he said, "I've had a very lucky career, a very lucky life. I've done all that I can do."

On his thoughts about death, he said "I like to think that something survives after you die, It's strange to think that you accumulate all this experience, and maybe a little wisdom, and it just goes away. So I really want to believe that something survives, that maybe your consciousness endures."
I know one thing, Steve Jobs was a very brilliant man who succeeded in putting a ding in the universe. And even though he’s dead, I believe he still lives on because he’s left his mark on us all. He’s going to be missed, greatly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steve Jobs.

Finished Reading