Jana 's Reviews > Shadows

Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Dec 24, 2011

bookshelves: 2012-reads, blog-reviewed, favourites, jennifer-l-armentrout, entangled

Best novella ever. I heart Dawson and Bethany. I literally just finished this now and can't seem to control my tears; I'm a blubbering mess.
full review also posted on my blog: jana-thebookgoddess.blogspot.com

Random Fact: Me and my friend were actually discussing aliens today at school (she was so frigging scared last night when a 'light' showed outside her bedroom window, and it couldn't be anything else other than 'aliens' hah) and I was like 'What if they were HOT aliens?!", to which she replied there was no such things as hot aliens, just little green men. I was like HELL NO. WAIT UNTIL YOU READ THE LUX SERIES. And wait until you meet Daemon. And Dawson. This novella will surely cure fans' misery over waiting for the release of Obsidian's sequel, Onyx.

Jennifer's writing style can be described in one word. Addictive. Seriously, I couldn't put this book down. I love all of Jennifer's books so far and she is fast becoming my favourite writer. Hell I would read anything written by her.

Thank God Bethany didn't end up on my list of 'Annoying heroines', in fact, Beth is anything but. I was having doubts before starting Shadows, how no one can beat Katy and Alex (from Half-Blood) because they are just pure awesome. Now; I still prefer Kat, but Beth comes a close second. Beth was so relatable (one that Jenn's female characters all have in common), funny, sweet, smart and I love how she wasn't needy. Then there's Dawson. SIGH. OMFG if aliens are like Luxens, well, they could light me up anytime! *wiggles eyebrows*

Dawson is the polar opposite of Daemon.But just as irresistible. Dawson is sweet, polite, and a true gentleman. BUT. One thing he does share with Daemon is his fiery temper. And boy is he hot!Daemon was as protective as ever, and I'm so glad that Jennifer chose to write Dawson's story because we get to see why Daemon acts like such an asshole in Obsidian. It makes readers understand him a little bit better, and get to see him interact with his siblings.

I love how 'normal' things started out for Bethany and Dawson. And I never felt their love was rushed or skipped, it was just perfectly timed and went at a slow and steady pace. Which is my kinda love. Unlike Daemon and Kat (who banter frequently), Beth and Dawson actually are a lot alike and I like THAT. They actually have the same interests and hobbies, same likes and dislikes. And HOLY BATMAN. Their chemistry together had me fanning myself multiple times. I admired Dawson's strength for standing up for their love, and for standing up to his big brother (only for a few mins), Daemon. And that requires a lot of guts.

The best scenes (apart from lovey dovey scenes) were the ones with Daemon, Dawson and Dee. You can clearly see how much they love each other, and their bickering just had me laughing out loud (Also: am I the only one who fell of my chair laughing when Dee was talking about her virginity and her brothers were like NOOOOO!)

All the characters are unforgettable and it's such a treat if you've read Obsidian - characters that you miss, characters that you want to strangle like bitchy Ash, and stupid Andrew (or is it Adam? I keep getting their names mixed up!) are also in this. Let me tell you - we get to learn more about Ash and Daemon's past relationship.

There was lots of hysterical moments, but the ending just totally ripped me apart. It was so sad and sweet and beautiful all at the same time. It reminds you to say 'I love you' to people you love, because you never know when you're time is up.

( I think people should read Obsidian first (even though this is technically the first book of the series, but I think reading this after Obsidian just makes it a bit more 'special'!)

(view spoiler)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows.

December 24, 2011 – Shelved
February 21, 2012 – Started Reading
February 21, 2012 –
0.0% "OMFG FINALLY! Been looking forward to this for like a million years lol"
February 21, 2012 –
32.0% "LOVE Dawson(!) and Bethany - I hope in Onyx it turns out they're both alive. Or it would break my heart <3"
February 21, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-reads