*The Angry Reader*'s Reviews > Fireworks

Fireworks by Sarina Bowen

liked it
bookshelves: arcs, 2018

This felt uninspired - like Bowen was phoning it in. High school crushes against whom everyone is conspiring. 12 years later she's doe-eyed and damaged. He's a cop...with all the cliche that entails.
(Let me take a moment here to say again that I do not like law enforcement books. 15 years as a criminal defense attorney means that I know the rules of an investigation inside and out. And when that's boggled I'm dragged out of the story kicking and screaming "objection.")

Neither Skye nor Benito were particularly well-developed. (Though perhaps that's the Duran I've been inhaling. Her characters are as flavorful and nuanced as chocolate hazelnut mousse.) He was a cop. She was a victim. Each expanded a little on that theme, but not much. Their relationship proceeded at an inexplicable speed. And Skye remained in her head chattering like a neurotic chipmunk about all the ways she wasn't good enough.

I've enjoyed this series immensely up until this point. (Bittersweet review here. Steadfast review here. Keepsake review here. Bountiful review here. Speakeasy review here.) It felt different. And then it didn't. At this point I think it's just a matter of time until all contemporary romance lets me down with its sameness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fireworks.

August 24, 2018 – Shelved
August 24, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 29, 2018 – Started Reading
October 29, 2018 – Shelved as: arcs
October 29, 2018 –
13.0% "Unimpressed with the heroine and her herky-jerky response to that. She seems like a flake."
October 29, 2018 –
24.0% "I’ve just been reading such well-rounded characters in my other books."
October 30, 2018 –
42.0% "I’m just struggling with some of their decisions and actions"
57.0% "Eh"
October 30, 2018 –
62.0% "Plots that involve crime/a police investigation are awful. She doesn’t need to gather evidence. Everyone is doing everything all wrong and illegally and ignoring all the rules put in place to protect our system."
71.0% "Eye roll"
October 31, 2018 –
84.0% "You can’t involve yourself in a police investigation. You just can’t."
October 31, 2018 – Finished Reading
December 30, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Suanne (new)

Suanne Laqueur "... remained in her head chattering like a neurotic chipmunk about all the ways she wasn't good enough."

You're a terrible friend and I'm still not speaking to you, but when you write something like that, all is forgiven.

message 3: by Suanne (new)

Suanne Laqueur (Scrutinizes work in progress for neurotic chattering)

*The Angry Reader* You don’t write neurotic chattering. Your characters are whole rather than a slapping together of a few cliches to create a “troubled heroine.”

message 5: by Suanne (new)

Suanne Laqueur I am angry young man. I am angry because that is my role. My purpose is to be angry. I need anger to push people away, which gives me more to be angry about. I don't talk about why I'm angry. Resolution would leave me with nothing to be angry about. God, I'm angry.

*The Angry Reader* Yes. Or “his eyebrows dove into an angry scowl. ‘Damnit, jessica. You are mine. Mine! Do you hear me?’ His mouth claimed hers in an angry kiss. At first punishing then soothing away the little hurts. He stalked away. His hands balled in tight fists I’d rage.” Mind you - this is on page 3 of the frackin book. Idk who these people are. Idc that they’re kissing. And I don’t want his anger crammed down my throat like this. Boooooooring.

message 7: by Suanne (new)

Suanne Laqueur 'Mine' with an exclamation point. Because we can't be trusted to figure out he's pissed off.

message 9: by Suanne (new)

Suanne Laqueur "I'm angry!" he yelled at the top of his lungs.

*The Angry Reader* Or else he’s a cage-fighter, biker, injured military vet. And then you can just assume he’s angry. Bc it’s not possible for any of these professions to have dimension.