Scott Hayden's Reviews > A Strong Delusion: Confronting the "Gay Christian" Movement

A Strong Delusion by Joe Dallas

Dec 23, 2011

bookshelves: christianity, sociology
Read from December 01 to 23, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Care-fronting, a term I learned from author David Augsburger, describes well this book by Joe Dallas. In it, he advocates firm truth with one hand and compassion with the other. At the same time, he models scholarship by generously citing his claims.

Writing to Christians, he is careful to insist on conviction-based decisions, rather than convenience-based. He upholds and defends scriptural authority over personal experience and cultural trends. His knowledge of those trends and experiences are as an insider.

Chapters 3-5 survey the gay rights and the "Gay Christian" movements, at least as far as up to 1995, which leaves the last decade and a half unreported, but there is a newly revised edition of the book that I've not seen.

Chapters 6-11 examine pro-gay theology and the typical arguments given to affirm the idea that it's ok for Christians to be homosexual. But with clear logic and the empathy that only comes from someone who has suffered and struggled, Dallas dismantles each argument.

He ends with advice about ministering to those who struggle with homosexual temptation. The book includes suggested readings to further equip believers for this work.

To those interested in reading this book, I advise getting the newly revised edition, as the one I read is already 15 years old.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Strong Delusion.

12/23/2011 page 99
12/25/2011 page 167
68.0% "liking not only the careful analyses, but the model dialogs, too."
12/26/2011 page 203
83.0% "His model dialogs are just that, models - ideals to learn from but not to expect that your dialogs go as smoothly."