Jodi Z's Reviews > The 5000 Year Leap: A Miracle That Changed the World

Jun 21, 2008

bookshelves: reference, rs-book-group
Recommended for: All Americans
Read in August, 2008

Should be required reading for every American. A great place to start your study of the ideas of our nation's founders.

This was an eye-opening introduction to what went into creating our government system. I am all the more convinced that those who think the founders' ideas are quaint and outdated have not done nearly the research that the founders' themselves did. It has been said that we should not try to do what great men did but instead strive to see what they saw. The 5000 Year Leap does a powerful job of conveying a piece of their vision. This book is a great place to start--but must not be where we stop.

I particularly appreciated the discussion of the 7th Principle: The Proper Role of Government is to Protect Equal Rights, Not Provide Equal Things; and the 15th Principle: The Highest Level of Prosperity Occurs when there is a Free-Market Economy and a Minimum of Government Regulations. In our modern mindset of "Let Uncle Sam fix it and finance it" we seem to have forgotten that if Uncle Sam is to have such deep pockets, we must either line them ourselves or mortgage our future to other countries by borrowing. (Do we really borrow $300 BILLION per year from China?????) This book provides the wake up call we all need. Our problems are not just created by the legislators who recklessly spend our money but by the citizenry that demand they do so!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 5000 Year Leap.

02/09/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy I haven't read this book yet, I will, I just need to buy it first. I don't know how someone could not like it. I've been studying the government a lot, and so I'm very excited to read it. I don't remember who said this quote but it's one that came to mind after reading your review. "The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take it all away." People just don't open there eyes and understand that! Thanks for the great review! I know I'll love the book!

Nickie Jodie, You expressed your thoughts and ideas so well. I appreciate how you thought about this.

Nickie

message 3: by Nikk (new)

Nikk Here is the Quote you are referring to Stacy:
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Gerald R. Ford (1974)