Rhonda's Reviews > Captive in the Dark

Captive in the Dark by C.J. Roberts

Dec 23, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, swoonworthy-anti-hero, books-i-own

Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet #1)
By C.J. Roberts

My interview with C.J. Roberts

Original Review 12-25-2011

I found this book while I was book shopping, and I was first attracted to the cover. I then read the blurb for the book, and while normally this is not a book I would ever choose to read, the subject matter being something I would run away screaming from, I found myself curious. I was curious how the author would pull this off. Could she make me like the hero? Could I really read this book?

I knew this would be a dark story. What I wasn’t prepared for is just how dark of a place this book would take me. This is the most raw, and gritty book I have ever read. C.J. Roberts absolutely put me to the test with this one. By the time I finished this book I was too mentally exhausted to react to the ending. There were a couple of times I wasn’t sure I could continue, but I just couldn’t bring myself to put it down. The author’s writing was fantastic! The story alternates from Olivia’s 1st person POV, which puts you directly in her mind, and what is physically happening to her. Then it switches to 3rd person when Caleb’s story is being told. I had no difficulty in following the story being written this way, and in fact I loved it. It was so emotionally draining being inside Olivia’s head, but it made me understand her thought process better and relate to her. Caleb’s side of things being told in the 3rd person was perfect, because he is not the kind of guy that’s going to bear his soul for me, and I got to learn all about his heartbreaking past.

I didn’t start out liking the hero at all, I wasn’t suppose to giving the circumstances. About halfway through, I still wasn’t so sure about him. So, did the author make me like the hero? YES she did! By the time Mrs. Roberts was finished with me, I wanted to hold Caleb and assure him everything would be okay. (Maybe I have a case of Stockholm syndrome, LOL!) Olivia and Caleb are damaged beyond repair, but I want to see them find happiness, and find a way out of the huge mess that surrounds them. Did I like this book? ABSOLUTELY!!

I didn’t touch on the plot because the blurb tells the reader what they need to know. The story / plot was excellent, there were times I was holding my breath and didn’t realize it until I exhaled. These are my thoughts and feelings, take from it what you will. If you are thinking of reading this book, open your mind, and prepare yourself to go on a very dark journey. I was disturbed by some of the things I read, and some of the events made my heart pound, but I don’t regret a single page. C.J. Roberts has a new fan, and I can hardly wait for book 2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captive in the Dark.

December 19, 2011 – Started Reading
December 23, 2011 – Shelved
December 23, 2011 – Finished Reading
December 24, 2011 –
23.0% "His touch was simple, but specific, meant to show me he could be like a lover, gentle, intimate, but also that he was a man unaccustomed to hearing the word no. Yes. I understood. He was a man, and I? I was nothing but a girl, not even a woman. I was meant to fall at his feet and worship at the altar of his masculinity, grateful that he’d deigned to acknowledge me. All this, from a simple touch.- C.J. Roberts"
December 24, 2011 –
43.0% "I'm still on the fence. The author can write for sure though!!"
December 25, 2011 –
57.0% "Lawdy this is deep!!!"

C.J. Roberts I'm not gonna lie - you kinda have me a little teary eyed right now. Amazing review. I'm so humbled by everyone who has taken a chance on an unknown like me. And of all the sentences you could have chosen...that one is absolutely one of my favorites because it took me so long to craft.

Thanks,
CJ

message 2: by Rhonda (last edited Dec 28, 2011 06:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhonda CJ wrote: "I'm not gonna lie - you kinda have me a little teary eyed right now. Amazing review. I'm so humbled by everyone who has taken a chance on an unknown like me. And of all the sentences you could have..."

I'm glad you like it, this has to be the most intimidating review I have ever written. It will go up on the blog I write for in a few days. http://samsawesomness.blogspot.com/

Mrs Roberts, You're an amazing talent. :)

C.J. Roberts I will add it to my favorites! I'll also post it on my FB page, so others can check out your blog. :) And really, THANK YOU.

Rhonda CJ wrote: "I will add it to my favorites! I'll also post it on my FB page, so others can check out your blog. :) And really, THANK YOU."

Jan 2nd it posts.

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R Great Review! I'm still debating......LOL!!!!

Holly Great Review Rhonda! I am definitely intrigued!

Rhonda Thanks Holly! It's tough, but very good.

Melissa Great review! This is tough...i feel like I'm scared ...huddled in a dark corner with my knees up to my chest...but i cant stop...its so good! Dark, extremely...but i need yo know more...

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Excellent review, Rhonda. Just finished this one myself and we had the exact same reaction. This was excellent :)

Rhonda Tessamari wrote: "Excellent review, Rhonda. Just finished this one myself and we had the exact same reaction. This was excellent :)"

Thank you Tessa!! I didn't see you were reading it, My bestie was reading it, and I was all worried and sweating bullets the whole time.

I'm so glad you took away from it the same thing I did!! I always feel a little nervous when someone reads this. I don't think some people read the blurb or something, cause they seem all shocked about the plot and characters. The author is such a sweetie! I've gotten to know her a little since reading this, and she's hoping for the sequel to be ready in Sept.

I did a little interview with her if you care to look. http://samsawesomness.blogspot.com/20...

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Kick ass interview! It always amazes me how authors can come up with their storylines. I loved it when she said, "I was tired about reading books that revolved around a formula. I was tired of reading about ‘bad boys’ who weren’t really bad or messed up people who really weren’t. But I think I mostly wanted to read about a fucked up person, falling in love with another fucked up person." And thus, Captive was born...
Just awesome :)

message 12: by Rhonda (last edited Apr 20, 2012 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhonda Thanks Tessa!!! I liked that too. :-)

~ Becs ~ Great review Rhonda - I felt so conflicted after reading this one.

message 14: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Great review. I actually have a slight case of eye strain today after plowing through it yesterday.

Rhonda Tom wrote: "Great review. I actually have a slight case of eye strain today after plowing through it yesterday."

Becs wrote: "Great review Rhonda - I felt so conflicted after reading this one."

I was so F'd up, but I loved how much she made me feel.
The next book comes out in September and it's gonna be just as Fucked up as this one if not more!

~ Becs ~ I think so. I've read the teasers on her website and on Facebook and I know it's going to mess with my head again!